HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Fenceline Gobbler (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/290079-fenceline-gobbler.html)

huntnma 03-24-2009 04:37 PM

Fenceline Gobbler

I worked this gobbler for 2-2.5 hours nonstop, it was great, I could hear him drumming,but he never showed himself...he was no more than 40 yards away..well there was a fence...I know he's roosting right there on the fenceline, I scouted him preseason, I was thinking if i put a decoy out , while it's still dark , do a couple of tree yelps, then the first fly down , he might fly over to me and not the lush field on the private property, lol..... what would y'all do ?

I have sang that hung up song over and over, and I should know better than to try call a turkey through a barbed wire fence and I did give him my best fighting purrs,lol but he just gobbled, he never came through......

firelt72 03-24-2009 04:43 PM

RE: Fenceline Gobbler

I am assuming that you can't hunt the other side LOL! Ma that is tough....You have the right idea of getting him to pitch to you, but once he hits over there...Wow. Does he have hens? If he did would he stay drummin and spittin??

CutEm 03-24-2009 05:20 PM

I know from personal experience as well that Tom's will hang up at barriers such as fences, creeks, etc...but this has never made sense to me...If i want some puss, I will go through hell or high water to get it. Why would a Tom let a fence stop him from gettin some? Makes no sense lol.

2 Lunger 03-24-2009 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: huntnma

I worked this gobbler for 2-2.5 hours nonstop, it was great, I could hear him drumming,but he never showed himself...he was no more than 40 yards away..well there was a fence...I know he's roosting right there on the fenceline, I scouted him preseason, I was thinking if i put a decoy out , while it's still dark , do a couple of tree yelps, then the first fly down , he might fly over to me and not the lush field on the private property, lol..... what would y'all do ?

I have sang that hung up song over and over, and I should know better than to try call a turkey through a barbed wire fence and I did give him my best fighting purrs,lol but he just gobbled, he never came through......

Try this.... it has worked for me several times. Fire him up! I mean pour it on him hard. Lots of cuts and excited yelps. Make him gobble his head of for about 10 min. Then go dead silent. It will be the hardest thing you've ever done turkey hunting. He will try his hardest to get you to call back to him, but don't. If it works, he will go silent too. If he does that means he's going to committ. If he goes silent he will fly over in a couple minutes.

doall hunter 03-24-2009 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: CutEm

I know from personal experience as well that Tom's will hang up at barriers such as fences, creeks, etc...but this has never made sense to me...If i want some puss, I will go through hell or high water to get it. Why would a Tom let a fence stop him from gettin some? Makes no sense lol.
Toms are lazy creatures. They want the hens to come to him or atleast meet him half way. Because thats usally what they do. That is why they gobble so hens come to them.

BuckRogers 03-24-2009 09:10 PM

Cut a hole in the fence[8D]. Just kidding. I agree with getting him riled up and then giving him the cold shoulder. You might even have to throw your call aways away from you to stop yourself. I have had to do that.;)

huntnma 03-25-2009 01:41 AM

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: huntnma

Try this.... it has worked for me several times. Fire him up! I mean pour it on him hard. Lots of cuts and excited yelps. Make him gobble his head of for about 10 min. Then go dead silent. It will be the hardest thing you've ever done turkey hunting. He will try his hardest to get you to call back to him, but don't. If it works, he will go silent too. If he does that means he's going to committ. If he goes silent he will fly over in a couple minutes.
I did try that...he did come closer, but he never crossed.....I have had birds cross the fence before, I know they'll do it, he just won't, lol........

jepcho 03-25-2009 02:32 AM

All I can say is good luck and hope you get him. Dont spend too many mornings on him though, you may be able to find a more willing gobbler elsewhere. Good luck again.

strutnbuck 03-25-2009 05:02 AM

Huntnma, you've done the best couple things you could do EXCEPT, and this IS legal, take 3 zip ties and zip tie the bottom 2 strands of bobbed wire the day before your hunt, thus giving him an easy spot to cross under the fence. He will do and find it, as they often will just go back and forth looking for an easy crossing. There is noth illegal about it, just be sure to undo it after the hunt.

huntnma 03-25-2009 08:36 AM

oh no, I am tempted to zip strip, lol.......I'll walk the fence and see where there is an opening if there is one first, lol......I 'll also go with finding more birds.....I had 5 of them gobbling all around me the other morning for just a few minutes then they all shut up, so I made my way to the where I thought I would hear a bird, so I know another place if need be, so we'll see what happens, I have a hunt this weekend at a different place , for all I know that bird won't be there on the next hunt there in 2 weeks.....thanks for the words of wisdom...