HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What kind of gun to use? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/290070-what-kind-gun-use.html)

hometheaterman 03-24-2009 03:38 PM

What kind of gun to use?

What kind of gun do you guys use turkey hunting? I know most of my buddies that turkey hunt use 12 gauges or one uses a 10 gauge. I don't like the limited distance of shotguns so would much prefer to use something like a .22. Anyone use a .22 rifle? Is it enough to take down a turkey? Seems like you could go for head shots and not be picking pellets out of the turkey either. That's another reason I see not to use a shotgun. Or is a shotgun just the best thing to use?

If a 12 gauge is good what's the preferred load? I saw some Winchester High Velocity 3 1/2" turkey loads at Wal-Mart. Are these good?

MO-KS_hunter 03-24-2009 03:55 PM

RE: What kind of gun to use?

Either a 10 or 12 gauge will work great (IMO, 10 gauge is kind of an overkill) , first thing you need to do it buy a quality choke and shoot a couple of different kinds of loads in your gun first at 25 yards then at 40 yards.

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I saw some Winchester High Velocity 3 1/2" turkey loads at Wal-Mart. Are these good?

Again, depends on your gun and choke. Make sure your gun can shoot 3 1/2" shells before you buy them. You really need to pattern your gun with a couple of different loads. Swampcollie has an excellent posting at the top to help you along with this

I don't like the limited distance of shotguns so would much prefer to use something like a .22. Anyone use a .22 rifle? Is it enough to take down a turkey? Seems like you could go for head shots and not be picking pellets out of the turkey either. That's another reason I see not to use a shotgun. Or is a shotgun just the best thing to use?

Most states don't allow hunting turkey with a rifle because it's dangerous and somewhat un-sporting. Check your state regulations, where are you hunting?

hometheaterman 03-24-2009 04:05 PM

I don't like the limited distance of shotguns so would much prefer to use something like a .22. Anyone use a .22 rifle? Is it enough to take down a turkey? Seems like you could go for head shots and not be picking pellets out of the turkey either. That's another reason I see not to use a shotgun. Or is a shotgun just the best thing to use?

Most states don't allow hunting turkey with a rifle because it's dangerous and somewhat un-sporting. Check your state regulations, where are you hunting?
[/quote]I know why I checked in the fall I couldn't find anything saying you couldn't hunt them with a .22. I just wasn't sure if they had enough power to take them down if you didn't shoot them in the head.

Why would it be unsporting? Not trying to sound like a jerk or an idiot I just really don't know. I don't want to be unsporting I've just never done much turkey hunting.

MO-KS_hunter 03-24-2009 04:24 PM

I know why I checked in the fall I couldn't find anything saying you couldn't hunt them with a .22. I just wasn't sure if they had enough power to take them down if you didn't shoot them in the head.

Why would it be unsporting? Not trying to sound like a jerk or an idiot I just really don't know. I don't want to be unsporting I've just never done much turkey hunting.
[/quote]

Look in your states turkey hunting regulations. Just cause they don't say you can't hunt them with a .22 rifle doesn't make it legal. Most state regulations willtell youthe legal methods for hunting turkey. I think hunting them with a rifle is first and foremost dangerous because you have a lot of people in the woods dressed in camoflague making Turkey sounds with decoy's within 25 to 50 yards of them. It's dangerous enough with a shotgun. I also say it's unsporting because part of the challenge of turkey hunting is getting the bird within 40 yards without him spotting you take your shot. If some uses a long-range rifle (such as a .223 or other small varmint or deer caliber) it takes away from that challenge (this is just my opinion by the way). That being said, if you were to use a .22 and try and take a head shot, you would probably have to get the bird within 25 yards (and get the bird to stand still while you to make an ethical shot.If I were to hunt turkey with a rifle I think I would use something a little more powerful like a .17 hmr.

nathanyeck 03-24-2009 04:31 PM

its hard to get a turkey to stand still use a shotgun i use a bow but if you have to use a gun use a shotgun

hometheaterman 03-24-2009 05:24 PM

When. I checked on it before and even asked on this sight in the regional area we all thought it was legal after reading the rules and regulations. It didn't say anything about not using a rifle.

If I do go hunting it would be in an area where we own enough land it should be safe and there are good backstops. If anyone hunts with me we will know where each other are.

Would a .22 to the body take a turkey down? A shotgun may be the best solution though. I was just wondering about a .22.

hillbilly archer 03-24-2009 05:31 PM

Would a .22 to the body take a turkey down? A shotgun may be the best solution though. I was just wondering about a .22.
Why bother, if he's in effective .22 range, he's in shotgun range. Besides I figure if you used a .22 to body shoot a turkey, you'd be lucky to recover 10% of them.

Besides, I'm sure its probably illegal, I don't think many states allow them.

doall hunter 03-24-2009 05:52 PM

Ya the whole thing about the 22. isn't a great idea, for the reasons already posted. Well I use a 20 ga. It dosen't have quite the distance like maybe a Mossberg 835 but if you keep shots in from 35-40 yds you should be fine. Thing is with a 20it's Light. A mossberg has an overboard barrel wich makes it heavy. But ya I would say a shotgun and anything between a 12 to a 20 ga should get the job done effectivley.

(I just felt like putting that, hey we are talkin about guns though)

NCZ09 03-24-2009 06:09 PM

If a turkey is shot in the head and neck correctly with a shotgun there won't be too many pellets in the meat of the bird. If you take the time to pattern your shotgun you'll know wear most of your pellets will be hitting. Try different turkey loads in #6,#5,#4 in a couple different brands. You can try lead, and high density. It depends how involved you want to get and how much money you want to spend. A couple different shot comparisons should give you a good start. Oh ya the 12 gauge in 3in or 3 1/2in is probably the most popular turkey gun. Hope I made some sense and was a little help. If not there are other guys on this forum with lots of great info. Good luck.

Ihuntandfish 03-26-2009 05:05 PM

Like just about everyone else said, I'd go with a 12 gauge in either 3" or 3.5". The fun of turkey hunting comes from the challenge of calling them into shotgun range. Even if rifles were legal, I still would go with a shotgun or bow just for challenge. You can shoot pretty far out with some of the new turkey chokes and shells. But make sure you know how your gun can shoot before you try any long shots. Good luck.