Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Quaker Boy Gobble Call

Old 04-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Spike

Default Quaker Boy Gobble Call

Well, I took y' alls advice and got a Quaker Boy Gobble call. It whistled - loud. More like a high pitched whine. It was horrible. So, I cut a slit in the 2 diaphrams. It sounded much better, but still not like a turkey. Did I get a defective call? I was thinking of ordering a new diaphram (since I cut the one I have), but if the new one is going to do the same thing, why bother.

What say you?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Spike

Default RE: Quaker Boy Gobble Call

Come on y' all. What' s the deal?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I had one once....It was a P.O.S

I never used it much other than just during calling practice before season. It was boring practicing my calls without a tom gobblin' back.

I would think you would call in more hunters than turkeys with a gobble call.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:42 PM

I.M.O. they sound like crap. They don' t sound anything like at a gobbler but.............. they work. I have called to gobblers with them before and have always got answers. They gobble at the call like crazy. I have used it while hunting, but without luck. I might try it this year but I am not sure.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:10 PM

Can you get new diaphrams for them? I got one a few years ago and mine doesn`t work anymore because the diaphram ripped and I haven`t been able to find more.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:34 PM

I have a primos and it sounds horrible as well. the shaker part (jake) resembles a turkey and i have had one gobble after using it. But the pump action on it is imposible to work. It sounds more like a goose than a turkey

Old 04-23-2003, 07:58 PM

I use a Primos Gobble Shaker. It sound pretty realistic, I never have had a response yet but I tend nt to use it all that much on Public land.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:37 AM
Spike

I also bought Knight and Hales gobble call. It sounds better, but still not extremely realistic. I used it last weekend and it really upset the gobblers, but they still did not come in. We got more gobbles using that than the hen yelps.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:24 PM

I have a Quaker Boy gobble call and I must say they sound good to my ears. If yours sounds like a goose, you probably aren' t working it fast enough.

PBB
Old 04-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gobble Shakers can always have a fault as the same as other types of calls. If there is a problem with a call you should send it back with an attached note of the problem. The Refills for the Gobble shakers do break down as mouth Calls do. Light and heat are the two main enimies of these calls. Refills do pop out from the inside and can be changed. Phone and order from the company. Sound will not be 100% to the real bird, but will sound better from a distance. You can use them with a one hand opp.by shaking back and forth and drawing your hand down as you do it , or with a two hand opperation covering the end of the sound chamber as you end the gobble...B