Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 turkey hunting from blind >

turkey hunting from blind

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey hunting from blind

Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default turkey hunting from blind

i have been watching some turkey hunting videos and in them there are pop up blinds in the middle of fields iwth no cover. i have an ameristep bully blind. how much in advance before i go turkey hunting i should put out my blind? does cover around the blind matter much?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: turkey hunting from blind

It all depends on your turkeys. Some will pick it out, others will not. I like to cover mine up and set it up at least 2-3 days before hunting. One thing i have learned about turkey hunting though is that they never come from the direction you think they will...and that is why i prefer not using a blind.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be using 2 of my blinds this spring. They've been out since August of 2008 and the wildlife is definitely used to them. Never turkey huntd from a blind though it'll be different
Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have two pop-up's that have been on the piece I hunt for a while. This spring will be the first attempt at gobblers from them. They are both covered so well you can barely see them.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

i have been watching some turkey hunting videos and in them there are pop up blinds in the middle of fields iwth no cover. i have an ameristep bully blind. how much in advance before i go turkey hunting i should put out my blind? does cover around the blind matter much?
Some say you can set it up and it won't bother the birds. I disagree. My experience is if I am using a blind I like it out there a week in advance. And I sure don't set them up in the middle of any field I know that. I favor the edges so I have somewhat of a back drop to break up the blind. I also used dyed raffia grass on my blinds to help more. I let it hang down over the windows some so it helps break up the person inside more.

90% of the time I do not use a blind. Personally in my hunting situations and area they are a waste of time. Good Camo, set still against something to break up your outline more, maybe stick a twig or two around you and you are all set.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

caleb it seems it is the same way with deer and almost every other animal its a pain
do most of you guys just hunt from the ground?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Spike

I have had no problem with turkeys picking out my blind. When i am hunting on the edge i like to brush it in a bit but turkeys are no where as skittish of blinds as deer are. so i don't set my blinds out before i hunt. I go and when i find a place to sit i put it up. Has worked well so far........
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never noticed a problem with turkeys picking out a blind. Anytime I use one it is usually a spur of the moment decision and I honestly have never taken the time to brush one in.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never know where I'm gonna sit so I put my blind up the day I go. And that's usually right on a field edge. Have had jakes circle my decoys close enough to my blind that I could have grabbed at them. The key is movement. If they see any movement out of the ordinary is what makes them leary. Put some decoys about 10 yards out and to your favored shooting side and don't move.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can set it up the same day you hunt, and as mentioned, cover does not matter at all. I've had mature Toms atrut across a wide open field and then rub right up against the blind and they don't have a clue..... until my arrow whacks 'em!!!

Quick Reply: turkey hunting from blind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.