Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

pine beetles

Old 02-26-2003, 12:14 PM

Default pine beetles

I' ve saw on some of the TV shows and videos, turkeys roosting in bare trees out in the open. They just don' t do that here in north Ga.. They roost in evergreens, the thickest ones they can find. At the present rate there will be no pines left in a few short years, my guess would be 4 or 5 and I don' t know of any reason why the rate would change (except get faster). Is this going on in other places? And do your turks roost in the open?
Old 02-26-2003, 01:12 PM

Default RE: pine beetles

I think it depends on the area. Here in the Northeast they tend to roost in hardwoods. Bad weather (and winter) they seem to like the conifers better.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:28 PM

I agree with Rayc up here they roost in the hardwoods usually on eastern facing slopes. Evergreens come in when the weather is I am originally from Lousiana and I remember the way those blasted beetles would blow through the land![:@] They used to try prescribed burns to stop them that didn' t work very well though.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

We' ve got those little pine killers here in southern TN but the turkeys seem to prefer the hardwoods over the pines anyway. Not very many pines here to start with at least not like you have in GA.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:55 PM

Pine beetles did a number on one of the management areas I hunt in SW Central Fl..they let the pulp wooders in to mop up and get what they could find worth cutting..pine trees dying and falling everywhere. The beetles are in several of the state' s management areas.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:07 AM

they are real bad here in Fla. have been for the past several years.the state doesn' t seem to care if they help stop them or not.
some places in our club woods there are 100" of acers of dead trees.

the birds here seem to like the oaks along the streams.one every so often they will be in a very large pine along the banks.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:22 AM

i hunt on a lease in se arkansas. here 95% of turkeys roost in pine trees during spring . may be cause all the hens have come out of the hardwood bottoms to nest in the pines