Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got me another one!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default Got me another one!!!

I got an invitation to hunt with Chris Kittleson (Lung Buster) So I bought an extra permit, and headed out to the Kittleson farm yesterday morning. Those birds were kicking our butts all day. We covered several properties in search of a responsive bird but were unable to find any. Chris wanted to try waiting a little longer on the set ups to see if they were coming in silent. We waited almost 6 minutes in some set ups LOL. But that didn't work so I showed Chris an old trick my Dad passed down to me on how to squeak them in with a stick, that didn't even work. So being that the day was almost over and it was Chris's B-day ( Everybody wish Chris a happy B-day ) I said we could quit for the day and start over in the morning... Chris wouldn't have it. He said, lets drive around the properties one more time and find a dang bird.... So we drove around all the farms without seeing a bird when Chris said, we should look at another farm he had "forgotten about" Sure enough there were hundreds of huge Toms running all over the place strutting and gobbling..... Ok, there were 4 Toms kinda just sitting there, but it was still exciting. They were in a lower field in view of the road and the only way to get at them would be from the top and drop down. So we took some landmarks into consideration and drove around to the top. I got to where I figured we were close and started to slip down the hill which was so thick there was no way to set up on the hillside in the timber, if you want to call that timber. Chris wanted to stop and try my squeak a stick method but I insisted we get to the edge of the field. As were neared the edge belly crawling a bird started clucking about 10 yards away and Chris said maybe we need to stop, I said lets go for broke and get to the edge where we could film and shoot effectively. Finally I got to the edge and just started slipping my feet under me when Chris says Dan.. PSSST. DAN! LOOK LEFT!!! So I take a glance to the left and here are two big Toms staring at me. I get the gun up and there is a bunch of brush in the way so I wait and the bird actually started coming closer and walked around the brush. At 19 yards even his kevlar vest couldn't stop my 3 1/2 " mag projectiles. The 1st shot knocked him over but he was able to get up and needed a couple more shots to knock him down for good... Man them things are tough! 1 1/4 spurs, 10 1/2 beard.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got me another one!!!

Nice bird!!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the necktie on that bird, and got some video of it as well?
Sweet.....
Old 05-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats.