Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 your favorite turkey call? >

your favorite turkey call?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

your favorite turkey call?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Default your favorite turkey call?

I just started turkey hunting. My one friend took me last year and did all the calling. I want to get a couple calls so i can call them in incase he cant take me. What call should i get?
Friction?
Mouth?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: your favorite turkey call?

if your starting out never overlook the good ole box call. simple to use and can produce almost any sound you should need. next i would go with my personal fav, a knight and hale sla-tek pot call. mouth calls are great when you get them in close but most people need plenty of practice before becoming proficient with them.
Practice
Practice
Practice.
Good luck
Old 04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite is by far the Lohman Thunderdome. In my opinion, it makes the best sounding yelp of any call ive ever heard.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

as of now I'm using a Primos Power Cyrstal sounds really good, but I will be getting a custome call this summer, the guy that makes them is back-up on orders. My friend has one, and it sounds fantasic. Last week he used to call in my bird, everytime he used it, the bird called back
Old 04-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Box calls are very easy, slates are pretty easy, and diaphrams are by far the most difficult of the 3 overall to use IMO most of the time. I use box calls to locate birds, slates occassionally when a diaphram isnt working, sometimes just changing a call does the trick. I mainly us diaphrams allot after I know where the birds are. Dan Thumma of Grand C Calls makes some great custom stuff. His 4 hole slate is about the easiest slate call Ive ever used.

http://www.grandccalls.com/Calls.htm
Old 04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

My favorite is by far the Lohman Thunderdome. In my opinion, it makes the best sounding yelp of any call ive ever heard.
I LOVED that call untill i sat on it and smashed it [:'(] Haven't been able to find one since. I have taken a liking to my Boss Tom Glass/Hickory slate call. That combined with an acrylic striker has been a proven combination in my past.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

I'd go with a friction call or two first, they are pretty easy to learn. I have turkey hunted for years and still struggle with mouth calls, some people take to them pretty naturally so you shouldn't completely write them off. If I was only allowed one call I would pick a slate hands down. Although they make slate type calls with all kinds of different surfaces i still think a plain slate surfaced call, in a wood pot and wooden striker is the sweetest sounding call in the woods. I really like Primos calls, Knight & Hale, Quaker Boy and HS Strut are all pretty good too. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every person likes something different... Take your budget, go get something that you can afford and practice with it... listen to the hens and mimick the tone, pitch. number of yelps, time between calls... everything they do...
Cause they make the Toms hot, and you want to too...
Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geeze my favorite call.... I can't really pick just one...

I'd say that if I was only going to hunt with a few I'd pick a Sadler McGraw mouth call, a Woodhaven Legend Glass and probably just a cheap K&H Wet Willy Box. I've broken damn near every box call I've ever owned just from regular old hunting usage... the woodhaven real hen's paddle split last week.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I favorite is probably the Primos glass jackpot. I just got i this year and let me tell you, it sounds sweet. As for mouth calls i like the quaker boy calls.

Quick Reply: your favorite turkey call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.