Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tough Merriams - Need Advice >

Tough Merriams - Need Advice

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tough Merriams - Need Advice

Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Spike

Default Tough Merriams - Need Advice

This is a little lengthy, I apologize. Just hoping to get some insight from fellow turkey hunters out there. I reside in Utah, where you have to draw a tag, so I have been purhasing OTC tags for the past 3 years in Colorado. I've been hunting this particular spot in SW Colorado for the past 3 years. It's around 7700 ft in elevation.

Anyway, this particular area is dominated by Ponderosa Pine with quite a bit of oak brush. There is quite a bit of water in the area, in the form of old stock ponds. There are 6 ponds that I'm aware of within 5-6 mile radius. There is always quite a bit of sign (tracks) in this area, but I have yet to call in or run onto a mature bird. It receives very little hunting pressure, I have yet to run into another hunter in my three years hunting this area. I was down there a total of 6 days last year (May3-5, then again May 18-19) (3 hrs from where I live), and managed to call in a couple different jakes, and had an interesting experience with a young jenny. She flew down off the roost one morning with another hen, and came within about 10 feet of where I was calling and proceeded to lay down by me. I was sure she would take off when I got up to move to another location, but she actually followed me. I'd setup at my next stop and she would just eat, and then lay back down. It was quite odd.

Anyhow, I just got back yesterday from this same area. We were the first vehicle into this area, as there were still a couple of small drifts in the road in a couple of spots. (snow was completely gone for the most part) Was there Friday through Sunday, and did not hear a gobble, or see a tom the entire 3 days. It was quite windy each day. Had a lone hen come by our setup on Saturday morning first thing. That evening we ran into 3 jakes and a hen running together just feeding. The jakes were strutting around. But again, ran into quite a few tracks, but no toms, no sounds, no nothing. Although it would have been difficult to hear at any significant distance due to the wind.

I am becoming extremely frustrated, and not sure what the hell to do. As far as calls go, I've utilized my entire arsenal. (owl, crow, coyote, boxes, slates, diaphrams). You name it, I've tried it. Is it possible that mature birds are just passing through this area at times, and are gathering hens, roosting, strutting, and spending a majority of their time in different areas? It seems that there are quite a few young turkeys in this area, or at least that's all I have seen in all my time down there. With the Ponderosa being the dominant and pretty much only tree type on the mountain, their roosting possibilities are endless it seems.

I just keep thinking to myself, that I am missing something. I don't know what to do. Without ever hearing a mature bird, it's hard to keen in on any type of pattern. Is there a method to their madness???

I'd love to hear any experiences you guys have had with Merriam's or just similiar experiences in general with any turkeys.

BowHuntr97
Old 04-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike

Default RE: Tough Merriams - Need Advice

Bah....didnt realize i was still in the contest forum. My bad!!!

DELETE!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

id put this in the turkey forum, not the contest one
Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Any of you mountian girls/boys out there have any advice on this topic? - I do not as I have never hunted past Mississipppi - well only Oklahoma
Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Not real sure whats happening but I will tell you I havethe same issues. Then one day they are gobbling to anything. I think your best friend will be patience for those merriams. It seems sometime that it really doesn't matter what time of the seson you hunt them there is something that might make this happen. Preasure, birds not ready, weather, timing and turkeys just being turkeys. Persistance and patience are key for you.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM

bw97 there are always many variables that can help answer but just with your info i will try to give what little i know. I would assume that if you are seeing tracks the birds(toms) are there. One thing you said that you see jakes strutting if jakes are srtutting then the gobbs are not gathering yet if you hunt elk you know that the really big boys let the little boys do all the work and then come in at the last minute as the girls are hot and ready. The other thing that I am constantly learning is that mature birds are very woods wise they sem to know when anything is out of place in there world you can call hens and jakes in to a set all day but a old bird will bust the slightest thing and you might never see him. What decoys are you using? during these times that the turkeys are not gobbling to "door slams" you have to be very selective with your calling and very accurate with the sound. And as others suggested be patient certain times of the season you can run and bow and thats really what i like, but the last few years i have been setting longer and the reseults have paid off. Its more fun to bring them in hot and in ten minutes but sometimes sitting for 1-2 hours still isn't enuff. I would bet the gobblers are there be patient use cover everytime you move from set to set if they see you from a couple hundered yards the game is over for that bird if he's smart. try to get out to that area again if nothing is talking in a week if possible good luck let me know.