Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

States that shoot hens

Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: States that shoot hens

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

In NY there is a fall season where you can shoot either sex. In the spring you have to shoot a bearded bird, so a bearded hen is fair game. We aren't allowed to hunt with rifles though, and even if we were I don't think I would...rifles would take the thrill out of it I think.
Same laws for Iowa, and I feel the same way you do.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:07 PM

The last time a hunted turkey in MO one could shoot a bearded hen in the Spring. However the Hunting Digest discoursed it because they still lay eggs and are a hen. They went to great detail in the Digest to explain the visual difference in the bearded hen and the gobbler. I did see several bearded hens in MO the 10 or so years I hunted there.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

South Carolina just changed to say "gobblers" rather than bearded turkeys. I'd have eaten good if we had a fall season, I must have seen a couple hundred while sitting in the deer stand.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

in CA we are allowed three 'bearded turkeys' in the spring, and one turkey in the fall. i have only seen one hen with a beard, and i wouldnt hesitate to shoot her if she walked up, or allow someone im hunting with to take her, where i hunt there are too many turkeys for the land so it would be good to manage it, seeing as we only get a hen or two everyfall, we pass the gbblers to let them grow for spring