Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun Choke Question

Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Shotgun Choke Question

If I am shooting Winchester Xtended ammo with a lead only choke, what will be the effect on my pattern, tube, or even gun. I have killed birds with it but just want to be sure I am not ruining any of my stuff.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Choke Question

Most of the newer Extended Range is a bit softer than most other high density shot. If you notice that your choke tube seems to be very difficult to remove from the barrel after you shoot, than that would be a big indication that you may want to consider either a different load, or a different choke tube.

You may notice that you can see excessive plastic buildup inside your choke tube. Look also at your fired wads, if you can find them. If the pellets are cutting through the wadding, or very nearly so, then you have overchoked your shot load. You'll notice more flyers due to deformed pellets. You may also get irratic patterns, that vary greatly from shot to shot.

You may also, in more extreme cases, scratch the inside of you bore/choke tube. In the most extreme circumstances, you'll bulge the barrel or even burst it (though I doubt with a reasonable constriction, even in a lead only choke, in a modern firearm in sound condition this would ever happen without some other barrel obstruction).
Old 03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester has advertised these loads to be softer than steel and compatable with any choke tube. I've shot them through a lead shot Undertaker with no adverse effects on the tube or my barrel. So has my hunting buddy.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 AM

Yeh that is what I was thinking. I read on the hevi-shot website that they see nothing but a few markings on the barrel after five hundred shots.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Most of the newer Extended Range is a bit softer than most other high density shot. If you notice that your choke tube seems to be very difficult to remove from the barrel after you shoot, than that would be a big indication that you may want to consider either a different load, or a different choke tube.

You may notice that you can see excessive plastic buildup inside your choke tube. Look also at your fired wads, if you can find them. If the pellets are cutting through the wadding, or very nearly so, then you have overchoked your shot load. You'll notice more flyers due to deformed pellets. You may also get irratic patterns, that vary greatly from shot to shot.

You may also, in more extreme cases, scratch the inside of you bore/choke tube. In the most extreme circumstances, you'll bulge the barrel or even burst it (though I doubt with a reasonable constriction, even in a lead only choke, in a modern firearm in sound condition this would ever happen without some other barrel obstruction).
That is a very good reply and should be concidered with every Thread on Chokes and Shells and Patterning. Very well Typed...

PS: just to add, if you notice a large hole in your bird after a50 yard shot, check the barrel, it could be your choke tube that hit the bird This happens as well with Over choked guns and Shells..
Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 PM

haha, thats funny