Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500? >

Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

I have a Mossberg 500 that i will use this year for turkey. Anyone have a recommendation for a choke to use? I have the regular full choke for my Accu-choke barrel, but was wondering if there are some decently priced options for a tighter pattern for the heavy trukey loads.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Default RE: Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

Others will tell you what works for them, but you can't be sure until you have tried it on your gun...all chokes and barrels are often different....even if you are coping what works for someone else.... the shell shot size and load can make a difference also. Will need to pattern whatever combination you chose to get the best performance....
Old 03-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

I am using kicks gobblin thunder .665 and win extended range 3in 5 shot
and i would take a 60 yard shot at a bird i believe it is a good combo for the 500
Old 03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

I have a Mossberg 500 that i will use this year for turkey. Anyone have a recommendation for a choke to use? I have the regular full choke for my Accu-choke barrel, but was wondering if there are some decently priced options for a tighter pattern for the heavy trukey loads.
First understand that your Mossberg Mdl 500 uses the Invector™/WinChoke™ system. Within gauge Winchester®, Mossberg, SKB®, Savage®, Browning®, H&R®, NEF®, and Weatherby®; the chokes are fully interchangeable. Secondly chokes run the gamet from $20 to well over $100. Additionally some can use Hevi•Shot® & other Hevi loads (like Remington® Wingmaster HD™ & Winchester® Extended Range™), but others are suitable only for lead. Conversely however, on the plus side; Hevi•Shot® chokes are fine with lead.

I also have a couple of Mossberg® Mdl 500 guns (a 12 & 20GA). A choke & load that works very well in my Mdl 500 may not work for you & vice versa. Conventional wisdom states that shooting Hevi•Shot® a choke has to be a little more open than you would use for lead loads. Hunter Specialties® makes the Undertaker™ chokes. For a 12GA Mdl 500 the choke diameter is .665"; the Undertaker™ Hevi•Shot® capable choke however is .675 (.572" & .582" for a 20GA). Now all this is fine except for me, in my Mossberg® guns; the tighter the choke the better the performance with Hevi•Shot®. Would that be the same in your Mdl 500? Who knows? You & I could be shooting our guns side by side, with the same chokes & ammo; and the results could be far different.

I'm going to hazard a guess or two here about your post:

• Your Mossberg® Mdl 500 is a 12GA
• By heavy turkey load you are meanning heavier than lead (vs a heavy lead payload, [1¾oz vs 2 oz])

I would hate to see you spend $75-$100 for a choke & then be disappointed. Because of that I will suggest three manufacturers that are very reasonably priced; they are: Hunter Specialties® Undertaker™ - $19.95; Cabelas - $29.95; and Hastings® - $29.95. If you buy the Undertaker™ get the Hevi•Shot choke diameter .675". For the Cabelas® & Hastings® chokes get a .665 or 660". All are Hevi•Shot® capable.

I hope the afore mentioned has been of use to you. Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks all for the feedback.... I do appreciate this greatly as I am not going to spend big bucks when I'm just starting out. I am a newbie and your advice is helpful. $20-$40 is affordable to me right now and your info is quite helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I hunt with a Mossberg500 and I use the xx-ful choke from Mossberg. Its made for the gun. My Mossberg shoots great and I wouldnt change for anything. There will be many who say use this use that. I shoot Federals 3in 5 and 6 shot and like I said it shoots great...
Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks all for the feedback.... I do appreciate this greatly as I am not going to spend big bucks when I'm just starting out. I am a newbie and your advice is helpful. $20-$40 is affordable to me right now and your info is quite helpful. Thanks!
Let's take this a step further. Say you have decided you want to use #5 or #6 shot. You don't want to buy a lot of chokes so you decide to buy a Cabelas® Extra Full (.665") or a Super Full (.660"). OK you get your ONE CHOKE. Now you start getting some ammo, 12GA - 3" Magnums: Federal®, Winchester® Supreme™, Remington®, Nitros®, Remington® Duplex®, & maybe some Hevi•Shot™. I think it's better to try many different kinds of ammo IN ONE CHOKE, than one kind of ammo in MANY CHOKES. The ammo that doesn't work so well can be used to shoot other things.

Now if it were me I would pattern as many different loads of #5 shot (lead) through the gun that I could afford. Because Hevi•SHOT® hits harder & with more wallop than lead I'd try #6 shot for my one, heavier than lead, load. Through all of this testing you'll find a load of #5 lead that is better than all others. Additionally you'll determine how well Hevi•Shot performs.

I posted to another newsgroup about my testingof 20GA loads & chokes a couple of years ago; maybe it will be of use to you: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40552#post40552Let me know what you think.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for the info. I will start with the Carlson's Turkey Super Full and begin with the ammo testing.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks again for the info. I will start with the Carlson's Turkey Super Full and begin with the ammo testing.
Excellent choice, & only $24.95! Their website lists:

EXTENDED TURKEY CHOKES - 12 GA ONLY
# 19894 .640

# 19892 .660

# 19893 .670

12 GA - PORTED TURKEY CHOKE
#70000 .660

By "Super Full" I'm guessing you're getting the one in red?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the one I was looking at through cabela's was a .660 bore, but I will check again on the carlson webstie to see if a .640 is available for the Mossberg 500

Quick Reply: Turkey choke for a Mossberg 500?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.