Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 First Spring Turkey Hunt >

First Spring Turkey Hunt

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Spring Turkey Hunt

Old 08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Spring Turkey Hunt

This coming spring will be my first Turkey hunt in Michigan. I already have my shotgun all set as far a sight and choke and what not. The question is now what calls should i get, how many decoys and what kind of decoys(brand or arrangement) and should i invest in any other gear or devices? My first thought was to go with a Primos Lil' Heartbreaker box call and maybe a feeding hen and up-right hen but not sure. Any advice would be great!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Spring Turkey Hunt

Thats great, I hunted Michigan last year with a friend of mine who I never met before that hunt. We had talked on the phone for two years before I made the trip. It was awesome hunting.

Now for the calls, whatever you decide to buy practice using it and learn the turkey language. Know what to say and when to say it. I prefer mouth calls but slates and glass or box calls will work just as well. A push button call with shotgun adapters work great when it is not wet out. Glass calls with carbon strikers work well in the rain.

Decoys are a debate for the ages! I do not like them and rarely use any. Other people will use them only in fields, others in woods only. I think a jake and a hen are your best bet if you decide to go with them. Feeding or upright is ok, the jake may just make the gobbler mad and come in and whip him.

I will pm you with some info on our calls.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Spring Turkey Hunt

Lil Heartbreaker is a great call. I also use a HS Strut Glass Witch slate call. For decoys I use 3. 1 looking hen, 1 feeding hen, and a jake. I chose the Buckwing decoys for several reasons. Lite, very easy to carry, lots of movement,look very realistic, and the price $40 for 3 dekes. I have a Ameristep Stackhouse blind and love to use it. Bought mine for $60 on sale (not sure what retail is). I think face masks are quite useful as well. As tkycaller said, decoys are a debate. If you think the turkeys in your area will come close enough to call for shot, then dont use them ( one less thing to carry). Dont be suprised if you use a jake deke that a old gobbler might attack the thing. Good luck.