Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mid-day hunts?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:32 AM

Default Mid-day hunts?

Does anyone have any tips for hunting turkeys mid-day? I have been going out and I notice that the turkeys are gobbling like crazy for about 2 hours after shooting hours and then all the gobbling stops completely and I can't get anything to respond to my calling. Is there any special techniques for hunting mid-day or do most people just call it a day when the gobbling stops? Also, yesterday I had two small jakes in my decoys and a hen came by and walked right by them and they never even turned their heads, is this a sign that the turkeys may not be in full strut or is there a reason they didn't follow the hen?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:37 AM

Default RE: Mid-day hunts?

They know not to bother they have no domince on that hen to hr they are just some little boy and they know it as well so they wont even try plus the toims would kick there rear end ...and on mid day hunts trying setting up were you knwo gobblers strut and trying calling everyone once and a while and just hang out for a couple hours i have killed many birds like this is mid afternoon
Old 04-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Ive had success during the mid day hours. I myself like setting up near a strut zone or a dusting area. Dusting areas work very well. Turkeys visit them through out the day. Also toms strut to show their stuff for mating.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't give up! Mid-day or late afternoon is a great time to hunt. Gobblers are looking for new hens. They are probably a little easier to work during these times, if there is a gobbler nearby They will travel long distances sometimes. If there are plenty of hens in the area they should be close.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 PM

ha,

KEEP MOVING FROM RIDGE TO RIDGE HOLLOW TO HOLLOW, ONES YOU GET A BIRD TO TALK YOU SHOULD BE IN BUSINESS LOL LOL.
JUST THIS LAST WEEK I HIT A BIRD ON MY FIRST CALL AT 1400 HRS AND 45 SECONDS LATER HE WAS EATING SOME # 6'S, DONT GIVE UP MID DAY IS NICE HUNTING ALSO FIND ALOT OF SCRATCHINGS AND SET UP ON THERE FEEDING ROUTES.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING

CHRIS
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM

Be where they like to be.

Can't kill them mid day at home.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
neb
Typical Buck

My best luck has been from 10 to 12. I haven't done well over the years on getting in before dark but don't get me wrong it works good for most and is productive time. I know where the birds are and get in and start calling at 8 or so. Those toms are out looking and roaming around and if your in the area hens are at you have it made.