Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 ported vs non-ported choke >

ported vs non-ported choke

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ported vs non-ported choke

Old 04-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default ported vs non-ported choke

Ok me again...I received some advice here about looking in to getting a ported choke. IF a ported choke reduces recoil I'm thinking it must have some advantage or why wouldn't everyone choose a ported choke? I read about it (ported choke) "separates the wad from the bb's to improve the pattern"? I don't get it? Also, how about recommending a ported choke. I love shooting my gun and want to make it more pleasurable, if I don't have to give up performance.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ported vs non-ported choke

I've got a Comp n Choke, and I really like it, and reasonably priced. Big differance in the kick of my Mossberg 500. I patterned it this year with several loads, and distances, and was really impressed, bad point is the shock wave to the ears, it is louder, had a major migraine after shooting a box and half thru it.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 PM

Ports are louder and may reduce MV as well. I'm not completely sure the ported choke tubes do that much though. I had one on my mossberg and didn't notic a whole lot, then again my barrel was ported as well.

Paul
Old 04-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have one and if you have a browning invector not invector plus i would reccomend this chock by browning it is called the full strut but very pricey 65 dollas
Old 04-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Since I provided that advice I'll try to close the loop.

Ported chokes reduce recoil by venting gas in a direction other than straight out the barrel. A law of physics (sorry - don't remember which one) is that for every action there is an equal and oposite reaction. If the entire charge (shot, wad, and escaping gas) is discharged straight out the barrel, the reaction is the gun moving ("kicking") in the opposite direction equal in force. Ported chokes disperse the gas in perpendicular to the shot charge, thereby lessening the felt recoil and muzzle jump. Velocity isn't appreciably affected, since the gas is vented at right angles as the shot leaves the muzzle. The rub is a much louder muzzle blast, which isn't an issue with a one-shot turkey gun where nobody is aroung to feel the effects. Take that same gun to a duck blind and you loose friends fast.

You asked about the "wad stripping" effect. The shot charge (shot encased in the wad) as it goes down the barrel is subject to spinning. If the shot charge exits the muzzle while spinning the centrifical effect of a spinning charge results in some of the shot being spun out and dispersed in a wider fashion, effectively worsening the pattern. Ported chokes slow or stop this spinning effect, resulting in the shot exiting the muzzle in a straight-line manner (ie not spinning), withresultant improved and denser patterns.

Why more hunters don't use them, I can't answer.

Federal makes a load (flight control wad)with a wad designed to stay with the shot much farther downrange. The front of the wad is solid plastic (no petels), with smallpetelsof plastic that stick out in the rear like airbrakes. The rear petals allow the wad to stay with the charge longer in flight, keeping the shot together longer leading to tighter patterns. These loads are said to work best with non-ported chokes, that don't strip the wad, which makes sense. I shot some prior to the season and noted that the wad was shot much further than other loads, so I think the conceptworks. I even saw and heard the wad hitting the target at 35 yards, and that was out of my ported Star-dot choke.

Good luck

Mouthcaller.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I got a TruGlo Gobble Stopper ported choke.
And a Hunters Specialties The UnderTaker
Both from Wal-Mart from layaway.
A good way to get hunting supplys when you are not rich LoL

Both .665 12 Ga

I put them in a winchester model 1300 pump

I shot both the ported choke kicked just as much
As the non ported choke.

They both patterened about the same.

The UnderTaker seemed to do just a tad better than
The TruGlo so I kept the UnderTaker in the barrel.

They both patterened guiet well.
Wether you use a ported or non ported is up to the person.

The best thing to do is just get both and see for your self.

What ever you do be carefull and remember to use ear plugs,

Good Luck
Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 PM

I could never get my ported tru glo to pattern well. I tried an undertaker which is non ported and it made a big difference. Get out their and try one. Different guns will shoot different things.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

mouthcaller,
I just bought a box of the federal heavy weight with the flight control wad. If you were going to buy a new choke for a rem 870 with the intentions of shooting this load, would you not get a vented choke? Also would an extended aftermarket choke have any effect on recoil in comparison to the stock rem flush turkey choke that I have now. Thanks for all your help and info by the way!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

I shot both the TruGlo Gobble Stopper ported choke.
And a Hunters Specialties The UnderTaker.
They both patterened about the same.
The recoil was the same.
The UnderTaker was about $7 cheaper
And did patteren a little better in my gun.

GO to a local gun shop and ask them about
People that use the Rem 870 and
What choke did better in it.
It will probbly do about the same in yours.

But the best way to find out is to get both and shoot them for youreslf.

What ever you do be carefull and remember to use ear plugs

GOod Luck

Old 04-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot and patterned both with and without a ported choke. I can't tell a nickles worth of difference between the two either in the pattern or recoil. I know what Federal says about using a ported choke on their Flite control wad but honestly I didn't see any noteworthy difference in my gun's performance.

Quick Reply: ported vs non-ported choke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.