Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 hunting/scouting during thunderstorms/rain/etc >

hunting/scouting during thunderstorms/rain/etc

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hunting/scouting during thunderstorms/rain/etc

Old 04-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Default hunting/scouting during thunderstorms/rain/etc

I am suppose to go turkey scouting these weekend, but the forecast shows possible thunderstorms, sometimes being severe. My question is: i have heard that turkeys go to fields in rain. Does this apply to thunderstorms and any type of rain (hard, soft, drizzle,etc) or is it only for small rains, not thunderstorms. Also, should i follow the same routine to scout for turkeys if i wake up and it is raining very hard? Will the locater calls travel and will i still get a response? I hope i get a few good answers before tomarrow because thats when im leaving and i dont want to go if turkeys wont be out or whatever. Should i still go? I heard hunting turkeys in the rain can be very effective if i find a field, does this apply to all types of rains/thunderstorms? I appreciate any responses, thanks.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting/scouting during thunderstorms/rain/etc

If it's really coming down, they'll be in cover. But as soon as it slacks off to a steady drizzle or less, they'll be out. Wind is more of a factor for calling than rain. If you spot them in the field in the evening, if you don't harass them, chances are they'll roost nearby. Watch which waythey're going toward dark.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Typical Buck

They will stay roosted in heavy rain..... You should not be scouting if there are thuderstorms present either.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 AM

ok, so i guess i should just wait til next week? I was about to go in an hour or so, but its raining pretty constantly. It just suck because season open on 18th, which means i only have one more weekend (other than this one) to scout, and i dont know if thats enoough time. I guess ill check the weather and see what it says, then go from there. Also, would it be harder or easier to scout in rain? Would it be easier to see the tracks or harder? thanks alot
Old 04-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Today was opening day for spring gobbler in Virginia and it started off with a few drops of rain before sunrise and then it became more of a light drizzle. I was getting gobbles whenever I did my yelping. I thought for sure I had one in the bag, but the rain started to increase and then it was quiet. I'm sure that the rain kept the birds out of the powerline cut I had my blind set up on. I had a total of about an hour of hunting before I called it a day. I hate getting my gun wet, but those pop up blinds keep the rain off of you for a little while before they start to drip in certain areas. Next chance for me is Monday and it's supposed to be sunny and in the 60's. Too bad we have to stop hunting at Noon here in VA for the first 3 weeks of the season. Good luck to everyone who pursues these birds.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

If it is light rain than I would not worry about it, just don't be out there if it thundering and lightning. ONe thing that I learned last year was to use your time hunting as your time scouting also. You can learn alot by just being in the woods. You might stumble across something that you didn't see before. You are doing the right things by becoming educated and spending time out there.It will be differnet because you can actually use your calls the your adavantage. Good luck don't get so down about it, I know you want success like evey other hunter and I am sure it will come.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:45 PM

ok.......this is what i read in a magazine so dont get upset if its wrong......It said during rain the turkeys will often be found in fields for the fact that their hearing is so sensitive to the water hitting the leaves........not sure if its true just read it.