Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot? >

Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Old 12-06-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Im going to purchase a turkey gun this year and dont really know what to go with.But i want a shotgun & Choke that will reach out there and score like i see on the turkey shows man those guys shoots gobblers looks to be 60 yards i would like to have something like that.Also if someone can tell me a good scope to go with if i go that way?THANKS FOR ANY INFO

CANT WAIT FOR TURKEY SEASON 06[:-]
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Any of the 3 or 3.5 shotguns are capable of killing a turkey at 40+ yards as long as you find a shell/choke combo that the gun shoots well. To just pick a choke off the shelf it can be a crap shoot. I have tried numerous shell/choke combos in my turkey guns before finding one that I like and that gives me the pattern that I feel I need to ethically take a turkey at 40+ yards. Two combos that have worked for me time and time again on birds out to 47 yards are:

Browning Gold 3.5 w/26"barrel/MAD MAX .670 choke/Winchester 3.5 Extended Range #5.
Remington 11-87 Super Mag w/23"barrel/Kicks Gobblin Thunder .655 choke/Winchester 3.5 Extended Range #6.

My advise is to pick a shotgun that feels good to you and try several shell/choke combos until you get one that performs to your standards. If you don't mind paying the money the Rhino choke and Nitro custom ammo is another avenue. They have been really producing some awesome patterns and Nitro Company has tested alot of load and choke combos in all of the major shotguns.

Here is a link to Nitro's web site. http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm#recommended%20shells

Good luck! I will be trying out the Rhino/Nitro combo before this spring season.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 PM

Thanks for your info and i will check out the ammo also.THANKS
Old 12-08-2005, 07:34 AM

I use a 870 Wingmaster w/ 28" barrel, extra full turkey choke made by Remington and shoot 3"Federal #5's. I have taken several birds in the 40-50 yard range with that combo. Happy hunting, hope you find what your looking for!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:01 AM

Mossberg 500 Turkey model.
26" ported barrel w/HS Strut Undertaker extended choke.
Federal 3" toting 1 7/8 of #5's.

Have killed turkeys @ 40+ with that combo.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM

These are all great suggestions, but I would take a different approach. Watch the videos for entertainment value. I love watching them too, but that's about all they're good for. I'd recommend working on your calling and your set up. Getting a shot inside of 40 yards is not that much more difficult, and it's surely a lot more fun and exciting. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Just wanted to say that I use my Mossberg 835 w/ turkey choke and have used 3" loads which work great at 40 yards. when I am not using the shotgun, I am using my bow. I don't shoot farther than 45 yards or so, and really don't need to. I can call those Tom's in with no problem so I don't have to rely on long shots. Like it was said here before, try some guns out with their weight and other extras that you can add on if needed. For me, the standard issue Mossberg 835 w/turkey choke works just fine if I don't want to use my bow.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I wanted to repond to this one again and say that I agree with Okie807 and Coyotestalker. It is not all about killing birds at 40-50 yards. I stated in my post that I kill a bird at 47 yards. That was last year and the bird was hung up and was not moving any closer and I knew my equipment. But, the real rush is calling the birds up in your lap under 20 yards and knocking them off there feet!! Last spring, my hunting buddy and I took 6 toms while hunting in two different states and all of them were taken at less than 25 yards except for one.

Getting turkeys in close is a rush that is like no other! I hope all this informaiton helps. Wish I would have had it when I started turkey hunting.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:05 PM

Thanks for your input and yes there is nothing more thrilling than bringing them within 25-30 yards but thats what i was saying last season i shot at 3 diff. birds at 25-30 yards and knocked feathers out but they flew off on me laughing all the way.I held right on the money the last bird i shot at and it was about a 30 yard shot and never touched him.I like the full camo guns and i also want a turkey gun i tried the xxxfull undertaker in my gun last year and it didnt impress me either so i just stayed with the tru-glow choke because i couldnt afford another to try.So now i saved up some money and im going to get me a turkey gun for this season.Im really thinking about the benelli m1 with a comp-n-choke xxxfull w/hevi shot #5 i have heard that this setup is great i hope it is anyway.I really do thank you all for your comments and will take all the help i can get.THANKS
Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mossberg 500 with the mossberg xx-f turkey choke is deadly with Federal 3" mags 5 or 6 shot. Its awesome. It wont break your wallet either.

Quick Reply: Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.