Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot? >

Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Old 12-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

I agree that you should concentrate on making sure you have the turkey in your "high perecentage" range--say 40 yards.

But when you get one of those that's just a bit further than that . . .

I've found the Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag I bought last year to be deadly with great patterns to nearly 50 yards. I killed two 20 pounders last year --one at 32 yards and the 2nd at 42 yards. The 2nd one never even flopped, so I was convinced. I'm shooting 3 1/2 Winchester #5 Turkey loads.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:26 PM

I agree with the ones who say that you shouldn't even shoot at a turkey at that range.

Just like my set up. I shoot a Browning BPS fitted with a Comp-N-Choke XXX Full. With 3.5'' Winchester XX 2 1/4 oz #6's, I have yet to find a set up that wasn't custom that can out do it at 40 yards. But I have never shot a turkey that far.

I like to sit back and watch the birds come in close. I like to learn from them. A struttin' Tom at 20 yards is on of the most beautiful things in nature. If you want to shoot at them when you can barely see them, why not just go to the store and buy a Butter Ball?

JMO
Old 12-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lung Blood

Remington 11-87 Super Mag w/23"barrel/Kicks Gobblin Thunder .655 choke/Winchester 3.5 Extended Range #6.

My advise is to pick a shotgun that feels good to you and try several shell/choke combos until you get one that performs to your standards. If you don't mind paying the money the Rhino choke and Nitro custom ammo is another avenue. They have been really producing some awesome patterns and Nitro Company has tested alot of load and choke combos in all of the major shotguns.

Here is a link to Nitro's web site. http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm#recommended%20shells

Good luck! I will be trying out the Rhino/Nitro combo before this spring season.
Good advice and nice combo Lung Blood Used it for my 870thumper many season untill I got the Rhino/Nitro set up last Spring. I'll be doing it to my 11-87 thumper herein a few months.

HNF- Like LB said, pick out a gun that you comfortable shooting. With all the choke tubes and turkey loads on the market you will be able to spit a nice pattern. As far as a scope? I wouldinvest my money and time on getting the right gun with a great parttern before I look to top it with an extra. Unless you'redead set on using a scope becuase of you sight or just because, I'd wait.If your gun pattern isn't where you want it you can always dial it in by buying open sights. Open sight like Williams or TruGlo work great.It could be the way to start with out sinking a lot of money in a scope set up. Hope this helps
Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: jepcho

I'll just tell you what I shoot. The gun isa Remington 11-87 Super Magnum. The last 2 years I was shooting with a Truglo StrutStopper choke tube and Remington Hevishot 3.5in 6's. I killed bird at 55 yards with that setup 2 years ago. Last year 35 yards was my farthest shot. This year I plan on shooting the new Hevi-13 loads through a HS Strut Undertaker choke tube. Just ordered the choke. Man I'm getting excited!
You may want to think a little bit tighter for the Hevi-13 loads based on the results folks had last spring. Best patterns were achieved with .645-.655 with a standard bore 12 gauge barrel. I don't think you'll get the results your looking for in the .665 Undertaker choke/hevi-13 combo.

I'm in the group who likes to shoot after I call them in close. Under 40 yards for me. It's part of the game.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Spike

I use a Winchester 1300 with a 20 inch barrel and an extra full, ported, extended Winchoke. Itshoots great patterns out to 50 yards shooting Winchester Supreme Double X Magnum Loads. 2 oz. # 4's in 3 inch. Not that I shoot that far but like others said it is nice to know what your equipment is capable of. I also have a Bushnell 1.5 to 4.5 Banner scope on this setup and find that with a little practice before the season starts it helps me estimate my distance on shots.

Bottom line, get the gun that feels best and is most reliable. If you don't have faith in your equipment, you won't be a happy hunter!!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:32 AM

I use a Remington 870, over a semi-auto as the same theory applies with a pump as with a bolt action rifle. The energy from the shell is not being used to work the action, so it expends more of that shell energy out the front of the barrel. The choke that i use is not for everyone, as some hunters do not want to spend the $90 that this guy gets, but he guarantees it will outperform any other choke on the market, and it does. The shells I use are custom loaded, in 3.5". I have shot this load at 30 yards at a standard Quaker Boy Target, and had 240 pellets in the neck/ head region, not the 10" circle but actually in the neck and head, at 40 yards 125 pellets, at 50 yards, 82 pellets, at 60 yards 93 pellets and at 70 yards 63 pellets. I have had several people state that the load they use kills them dead and dead is dead, so what's the difference. The difference is, more pellets allows you additional room for error, especially if you have no holes in that pattern,and I know I still get excited, so I can pull off slightly or whatever we do when in the heat of the moment.

I also want to add that I don't condone shooting birds out far, and prefer to call them in close as mentioned, BUT, I also like the option of being able to kill that bird, as mentioned above, if he is hung up and just won't come in and thinks he is safe. Especially on a trip that I have traveled some distance and spent considerably more than just hunting around home. You can view the targets at www.farleysadventures.com