Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Looking to buy a trail cam BUT >

Looking to buy a trail cam BUT

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Looking to buy a trail cam BUT

Old 09-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Spike

Default Looking to buy a trail cam BUT

so im looking to buy a trail cam and got some brands in mind...i really like alot of the PRIMOS one..but...is it really worth it if i am a avid scouter??? i usually track the deer buy the prints in the mud,dirt and droppings and all that..measurements...study beds and trails and same with the turkey. I really like the idea of the cams beecause you never know what you will see and maybe one day ill see a buck that i have never seen roaming there before...but i would be able to tell that by hoof prints and other things..so is it really worth it to get a trail cam? i am new to trail cams and was raised old school scouting...but i feel like it cant hurt and MIGHT give me a edge. THoughts? WHy did you get a cam?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Spike

I like them in the fact it help to pattern them as far a daytime movement and it also gives you an indication of when the rut is beginning to warm up. You will absolutely see deer on the cam you haven't seen before. I also use them to track predator numbers etc also. I rely on my scouting and knowledge for stand placement.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Spike

stupid question but how can you follow the rut through the camera...like how can you tell through the pictures...im interested now lol
Old 09-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Bucks fighting. Bucks humping does. Doe comes by. Then a few minutes later or 10 minutes etc a buck come by nose to ground. You should get a camera, most have video modes as well so you can take up to 30 second videos instead of a picture. I would recommend a stealth cam. The 36 or 42 model is really good for price. I forgot which one I have but its one of them. I got it for 75 on sale. Always had problems with Primos cameras.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing better than actually seeing anything that passes the camera. You can scout all you want, but your camera will be there 24/7!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a 1,000 words!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Spike

Bushnell trophy cams have the best features. I highly recommend one!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I have three Stealth G42's which are blackflash cams and can be bought around $100.
If you use them for video though I have to warn you a 15 second video uses around 50mb of card space.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

i too love my cams they do my scouting 24/7. u will definitely get pic of deer never seen before. i always leave mine on video either 30 or 60 sec. and most cams these days have options of sound which is a great thing to have. as far as cams would go with spypoint, bushnell, or moultrie. had nothing but problems with primos back in the day with primos 35 and 46 truth cams. i do think theyve come along ways since then especially with bushnell buying them out
Old 10-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maybe, one of the few

But I bypassed getting a trail cam.

I don't use private or leased land any longer so the use is limited, too limited.
I'm not near a hunting spot, so the trail cam, it would spend too much time alone in the woods.
Just because they exist, doesn't mean I need one. There are many fine products that never met my needs.
Too much money for many. In truth I could get away with black and white photos, with a passable look at the rack. I never needed a Trophy Picture.
Wouldn't want to hold my hunting to one trail cam. No guarantee they'll come back, especially on the day you're hunting. Why hunt any deer that visited in the dark.
I've learned to spot deer by the use of trails.
So I'll just save the $100. $200 or $500 on a trail cam and continue to use the old ways, some never learned by newbies, to locate deer.