Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Reliable Trail Cam ???? >

Reliable Trail Cam ????

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Reliable Trail Cam ????

Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Reliable Trail Cam ????

I know there are already several posts about trail cam suggestions, but I am wondering if anyone is having good luck with the lifespan of their cameras?? I've used Primos and Moultrie. Just curious if anyone is getting a lot of years out of their cameras and which ones I should consider? Every camera I have had has been fine with picture quality.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 AM
Spike

All I can say is watch out for the primos ultra 35;s and 46's they either end up with no power or full sd card on them. I have a newer ultra blackout and used it 3 times and the last time I went to put it back out it would not power back on. called primos said it was out of warrantee. I went on many hunting web sites and a lot of other hunters have the same problems with them. some sent theirs back in under warrantee and had the 2nd camera do the same thing over time. I would go with a Moultrie or Scout Guard.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Spike

I'm only on my first full year running cams. I have 4 moultrie and one spypoint. No lifespan issues thusfar on any of them.

Only grip is the 2014 moultrie m880 seems noticeably inferior in image quality to it's 2013 m880 predecessor.

I run them in rain, snow and regular cold temps. All are holding up well. One moultrie was played with by a black bear, and the spypoint was knocked around by a bull, both still work fine. Only minor exterior cosmetic damage.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 30-06 deerslayer
All I can say is watch out for the primos ultra 35;s and 46's they either end up with no power or full sd card on them. I have a newer ultra blackout and used it 3 times and the last time I went to put it back out it would not power back on. called primos said it was out of warrantee. I went on many hunting web sites and a lot of other hunters have the same problems with them. some sent theirs back in under warrantee and had the 2nd camera do the same thing over time. I would go with a Moultrie or Scout Guard.
+1 on the Truthcam 35s. Ive got the non ultra ones, either corrupt cards, or dead batteries week after week. complete garbage
Old 10-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Unlocked
+1 on the Truthcam 35s. Ive got the non ultra ones, either corrupt cards, or dead batteries week after week. complete garbage
+1 put me down for primos junk.. battery dead, wont read cards, no pics... bushnell trophy cam has been the best, and customer service is so far ahead of the rest its not even funny. Cuddeback take fast pics, but if you have one go down you might as well make a boat anchor out of it..
Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, the Primos is the only cam I've had to go bad on me. I've been happy with the Moultries I have...........one is an M80XT and the other is M880. Just haven't really had the Moultries long enough to know what kind of life they will have.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Jeffro_17
Thanks guys, the Primos is the only cam I've had to go bad on me. I've been happy with the Moultries I have...........one is an M80XT and the other is M880. Just haven't really had the Moultries long enough to know what kind of life they will have.
I've got an M80Xt and M880 also, and I like their features and the pics they take, but I recently had the M80XT back to Moultrie under warranty. It was filling the card and killing the batteries. Anyway, after 5 or so weeks and 3 or 4 frustrating phone calls, they sent me a refurbed camera. Their customer service leaves a bit to be desired as none of the customer service reps could give me any info other than the camera was received and I got no notification that the camera ever shipped. (Glad it didn't get lost) My biggest gripe was that they told me they were shipping out a NEW camera, but that wasn't the case.

I have a Covert camera (MP5E) which is their low end and pretty simple. It does a fine job and has been out for over a year without issue. I purchased a Wildgame when my M80XT was out of commission for $40, and it's a $40 camera. Slow recovery, grainy pics, but does what I need it to do. I hope it holds out. From what I've been reading, Bushnell Trophy Cams are reliable and do well and the Browning cams are getting some good reviews also. Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default People expect a lot....

from a fairly inexpensive investment.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

That saying comes to mind.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
from a fairly inexpensive investment.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

That saying comes to mind.
Thanks for the help......Lol
Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Covert's are nice, especially for the money. The one's I bought last year are still on the original batteries (8AA), after probably 20,000 pics. Can't complain at all, and they were out during last years brutally cold winter.