HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Trail cameras to catch poachers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/210317-trail-cameras-catch-poachers.html)

reswire 10-04-2007 03:26 PM

Trail cameras to catch poachers?

Has anyone tried using trail cameras to catch poachers? I have a problem with hunters sneaking on my farm and shooting deer in the evening and night, ecspecially in one particular area of my farm. The deer seem to congregate there and so do the poachers. Calling DNR has not helped, and I am considering using trail cams(without flash) to catch them in the act. What do you think? Should I put up a decoy camera, and then a real camera nearby when they try to steal the decoy? HMMM? What else can I do, any other ideas? thanks, I need some help here!!

r33h 10-04-2007 03:46 PM

RE: Trail cameras to catch poachers?

I know if I was a poacher (which I am not:)) and I saw a cam I would definitely do everything do get it because of the evidence on the cam...even if I had to cut down the tree or completely destroy the cam and card inside. If you do use a cam, make sure that there is no flash for the night. You may even try putting a stand up one night and sitting in it and wait for the to come by and get them that way...

reswire 10-04-2007 06:38 PM

Thanks, I know what you mean, I just want to avoid a One-on-One confrontation with these idiots. All I want to do is get them safely away from my family and myself.
Last year I had to confront armed groups of dog hunters who were trespassing, and they knew it, (they weren't too friendly by theway), and now I find they have cut trails through the woods right up to my fields to carry away deer they shootby day andnight. We just have a pathetic law enforcement situation in the part of Virginia where I live. Mob rule seems to be the only law of the land.
I was hoping to use a dummy camera and several "live" cameras nearby. I could take them to civil court for theft more readily than a game law, it seems.

thanks,

peeker 10-04-2007 06:38 PM

Be careful. Somebody that committed to poaching may use night vision and could see the ir illuminator for the cam.

ffemt1271 10-07-2007 11:48 AM

i would contact the state office, or the governors office if the DNR is not doing anything. being in a public relations position i have found that if you can get the local paper and news to run a story about your situation, and lack of help from the DNR they will jump thru hoops to fix your problem.

one on one 10-07-2007 01:11 PM

the decision is your, just be careful and don't get yourself hurt

Spoiler 10-07-2007 07:50 PM

Are they shooting from the road? If so this is what I would do...Get dressed in full camo.Take a camcorder and hide somewhere the headlights dont hit you and you have a good enough angle so you can catch the whole thing on tape along with a lic. plate. Make sure you turn the record light off.

StillHunter90 10-07-2007 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: one on one

the decision is your, just be careful and don't get yourself hurt
Definately agree with this post with todays crazy world.

saltflat 10-08-2007 11:37 AM

The last time I heard of someone dealing with poachers and trespassers the landowner found some thorn trees and cut them down and put them over the trails they were using. Or you could just turn into the crazy old man nobody wants to mess with. Go chasin after them with your shot gun.

justin_h 10-12-2007 08:47 PM

Infrared cameras would work but I would put them where they aren't going to be hanging around or walking around (like just somewhere on the road entering the property). Sure you might not catch them in the ACT of shooting but a call from a warden would keep them off of there in the future.

Also, a good board full of nails buried in the dirt where they drive will get them (make sure landlord, other people who frequent the property know this). Also, a simple "traps" sign might keep them out.