Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Trail cameras to catch poachers? >

Trail cameras to catch poachers?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail cameras to catch poachers?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 AM

Default RE: Trail cameras to catch poachers?

Sorry to hear about your problem! Makes me upset to hear people are still doing this and causing a problem. I say you go to where their trails are and use a back hoe to dig a huge hole and fill it with some kind of die. Then cover it with a tarp or some kind of cloth and then cover it with folage. When they fall into it they will get the die all over them and they will stand out like a sore thumb!!! I happen to see this done as a prank, it sure was funny to see the people falling into the hole. The hole was filled with water and cover like I said. It probally wouldn't work the way you wanted it too however it really stinks when people just feel they have to do this the wrong way. Good Luck with your situation.

River Rat
Old 10-13-2007, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

Dig a trench3X3X8 so there truck,s get stuck cover with a tarp add leaves,sticks just to make it look natural .If they have to get a tow outon posted land because of a possible accident or theft is in processmany tow operaters will call the police. My buddy has the same problem in ontario he went a little further by waiting for them to show up and leave there trucks then he popped there back windows out added gas and ran for home . He called 911 for a possible car fire then that also send,s out the law to see what,s up. Not really the way to do it but they were caught.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: River Rat

Sorry to hear about your problem! Makes me upset to hear people are still doing this and causing a problem. I say you go to where their trails are and use a back hoe to dig a huge hole and fill it with some kind of die. Then cover it with a tarp or some kind of cloth and then cover it with folage. When they fall into it they will get the die all over them and they will stand out like a sore thumb!!! I happen to see this done as a prank, it sure was funny to see the people falling into the hole. The hole was filled with water and cover like I said. It probally wouldn't work the way you wanted it too however it really stinks when people just feel they have to do this the wrong way. Good Luck with your situation.

River Rat
With all the sue happy people these days they would probally "Get Hurt" and find some way to sue you..That sucks, but it's the reality of the crazy world we live.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im no expert in field cameras, nor have I ever used one, but I think you should put a couple cameras on the ground, and put them at an angle facing upwards, then cover them with pine branches. Poachers probably wont notice it. If you decide to try my idea, put them where the hunters normally come in.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know but have you seen them ever???
Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Poachers

I am dealing with the same problem. I am about to put up a few MMS, Infared cameras that do not have a flash. MMS cameras send the pictures directly to your cellphone and email. So even if they destroy the camera the pictures are already on your phone or email by the time they locate and destroy them. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

1. If they are driving on trails that are on your private property, booby trap them. This can be done with a board and some nails facing upward, or as someone else said by diging a hole and covering it with a tarp and some leaves.

2. If you really want to use a camera, the new primos blackout supposedly makes no flash. I have no experience with that model, but I do have the primos truthcam 60 and I am very happy with it. There is also a lockbox that is designed specifically for these cameras that you can buy for about $35 that is pretty heavy duty. I use three 4'' screws to fasten it to a tree, then wrap a chain around the tree and through the pad lock which closes the lockbox. Put that about 10 feet up in a tree pointed at an angle downward toward the trail. You can leave the camera 15 feet off the trail and it will still be effective.

3. If you have the money, you can hire a lawyer and sue the DNR with what is called a writ of mandamus. If you are successful you won't win money, but the court will issue an order requiring the government agency to do their job.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

without the help of DNR or local police,
really tough to enforce it yourself,
is there a regular parking area they are using?
cops/dnr wont want to check your field every night,
but if they know where they are parking, they might keep an eye out on that spot while on patrol,
do you hunt this area yourself? or just a crop field?
if you dont hunt it, would try some deer repellant of sorts,
even if DNR/cops havent done anything i would keep reminding them of the problem,
i also like the thorny brush idea
Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i like the cam idea by the road..instead of being there yourself...just hide it along side the road, with as long of a video as ya can get..mainly focusing on the license plates of the cars that go by...if yer lucky, ya get a gunshot in the video.
even better, call the news station, have them do all the work.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Spike

Agree with Justin H. Here in the Deep South a board with spikes in it sure puts the stops on someone driving on your property and usually you can find them very easily.

Quick Reply: Trail cameras to catch poachers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.