Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
The .45 GM/Renegade - Big Lead/Five Shots/150 Yards >

The .45 GM/Renegade - Big Lead/Five Shots/150 Yards

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

The .45 GM/Renegade - Big Lead/Five Shots/150 Yards

Old 02-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I don't know BPS. We'll need to wait for Ed to chime in and tell us.
The lube is Bob Bowers Recipie. I'll post it here later when I'm home.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whatever it is, it works extremely well with GOEX.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Recipe for Bob’s Best Bullet Lube

Color Coded

Super Blue .451 caliber Lube
Updated 12-18-05

3 Tablespoons Heavy Mineral Oil
2 Tablespoons Odorless Tasteless Caster Oil
3 Tablespoons Anhydrous Lanolin, slightly rounded
1 pound White Beeswax
2 teaspoons Blue Candle Wax Dye

Recipe

Place mineral oil, caster oil, and anhydrous lanolin in a pot to heat. Once the anhydrous lanolin has melted, bring the mix to medium heat and try not to let the mix smoke. Add beeswax and stir until wax has melted completely. Then add the dye. Pour while hot into container (I prefer to use a small 1.5 quart crock-pot). Do not allow any sediment to enter the container by straining the mix through a strainer and cheesecloth.

This lube works very well with the Star lubri-sizer on a medium heat. It flows well into the lube grooves. If you do not have the heated base, this lube will not work. This lube is not sticky, and stays in the lube groove on a conical very nicely. It works well in high heat situations without running or coming off in your hand. Enjoy!!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Recipe for Bob’s Best Bullet Lube

Color Coded

Super Blue .451 caliber Lube
Updated 12-18-05

3 Tablespoons Heavy Mineral Oil
2 Tablespoons Odorless Tasteless Caster Oil
3 Tablespoons Anhydrous Lanolin, slightly rounded
1 pound White Beeswax
2 teaspoons Blue Candle Wax Dye

Recipe

Place mineral oil, caster oil, and anhydrous lanolin in a pot to heat. Once the anhydrous lanolin has melted, bring the mix to medium heat and try not to let the mix smoke. Add beeswax and stir until wax has melted completely. Then add the dye. Pour while hot into container (I prefer to use a small 1.5 quart crock-pot). Do not allow any sediment to enter the container by straining the mix through a strainer and cheesecloth.

This lube works very well with the Star lubri-sizer on a medium heat. It flows well into the lube grooves. If you do not have the heated base, this lube will not work. This lube is not sticky, and stays in the lube groove on a conical very nicely. It works well in high heat situations without running or coming off in your hand. Enjoy!!
Several questions...
WTH is anhydrous Lanolin and what do you mean by "slightly rounded"?
I understand that you're using a sizer and a temperature controlled preluber... is this lube too stiff to rub into the grooves of a hand cast bullet like a Lee REAL or a TC MaxiBall if not heated to a certain degree?

BPS
Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Dave, it doesn't show up well on the scanned target. But those bullets are not quite stable at that range. They have a tiny bit of wobble. Each hole has a small crescent mark on one side showing the bullet was not straight on when it hit the paper. I'm wondering if upping the charge to 95 grains would stabilize them.

If you like that 150 yard group, you will love what I get at that distance with Ed's .451/350 grain hollow points.

The shorter bullets are perfectly stable with an 85 grain charge.

I just bought a GM .45 LRH barrel 1:30 twist thanks to this post. I was on the fence as if I "needed" this new old stock barrel for my Renegade. No QLA either... Thanks Semi!!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's one purchase you won't regret. A little heavy for woods walking. But if you're a stand hunter the weight is not an issue.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Mostly a stand hunter, but I have killed deer walking into the stand. I may just hold onto it for now as I have several guns that are deer killers. Green Mountain barrels are really getting hard to find, especially in one inch across the flats variety.

The Renegade rifle is a great one! Killed my first ML deer with it!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Several questions...
WTH is anhydrous Lanolin and what do you mean by "slightly rounded"?
I understand that you're using a sizer and a temperature controlled preluber... is this lube too stiff to rub into the grooves of a hand cast bullet like a Lee REAL or a TC MaxiBall if not heated to a certain degree?

BPS
Slightly Rounded means just a Heaping Teaspoon not leveled.

I melt my lube in a 1.25qt crock pot. You can use a smaller crock pot if you have it. Once the lube is melted, I then dip the bullets using a clear plastic tube. (Insert the bullet up to the first grove). Remove the bullet, wipe the bottom of the bullet to remove the wax on a rag/towel that is lying flat on your table, and repeat the process until all bullets are coated. I then insert all of the bullets into my sizing die which removes all excess wax and sizes the bullets. I then collect all of the excess wax from the bottom of the sizing die and put it back into the crock pot for the next time.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Spike

what I do is re size Ed's .451 to .450 for my gm 45 cal LRH stainless
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Green Mountain Stainless 1-30 twist 45 on my Hawken.

I have had this rifle for years. I am using a paper patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet.

Like I said I have used this rifle and load for years. I have taken Deer and antelope with it many times. I have the lead hardened to about 9 BHN. Here are a few pictures I have taken over the years.

While I would never take a first shot at an animal past 150 yards this load and gun with peep sights are accurate out to 300 yards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.