Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

new traditional head gear

Old 10-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Banned

Default new traditional head gear

Gotta start somewhere! Going to by the liberty cap next for my ears.

I figured I needed some new traditional clothing since i feel more comfortable in it after wearing my shirts a few times during the hunts the past 2 months, so why not?

Hope to gather more gear this winter but first, replacement rifle must be ordered!

Almost forgot, the hat is made of Badger.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I picked up a couple hats last year. But mine have big ear flaps to keep the cold off my ears. I don't have to worry about dampening my hearing because the years of shooting without ear protection has my hearing pretty well shot (no pun intended)!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wooohoooo just what someone needs out there in todays world of morons. A brown furry head. Man you wouldn't catch me in anything other than orange on public land during rifle season nowadays. I look about like an escaped convict! If I didn't think it would scare off the deer, I'd have flashing neon signs saying " I AM NOT A DEER! DON'T SHOOT ME"
Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice hat. But man, wearing fur on my head on public land would make me nervous as a short nun on the opening day of penguin season.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:53 PM
Banned

i can only wear it in NM. Colorado requires blaze orange.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

During hunting season, I wouldn't wear it outside of my house! And only then if the drapes are pulled shut!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I look about like an escaped convict!

So do i my blaze orange coveralls.

Years ago a friend in WV was shot. A squirrel tail was dangling from his hunting coat.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:02 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a real nice looking hat. Badger fur might be illegal in my state as they are the state animal.

My fur hat is far too warm to wear unless there is a big snow and cold. I wear it when I blow/plow snow. Even then you come in and your head is all sweated up. And, because of its age, its started shedding more then I can stand. I also never wear it out of the yard in hunting season. Mine is a light gray chinchilla rabbit. I purchased it over 40 years ago. So I guess it don't owe me nothing.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i can only wear it in NM. Colorado requires blaze orange.

MD...

Believe it or not, for as liberal and "Big Brother" as my neighboring state of NY is, they DO NOT have a blaze orange requirement in their game laws. It is suggested but not required.

I knew a guy who wore a blaze orange vest that had the words I AM A MAN... DON'T SHOOT! printed on the back of his vest in bold letters!!

PA requires 144 square inches minimal by law for all seasons but our late ML (flintlock) season which they allow camo or traditional clothing to be worn but suggest the use of blaze orange. Spring turkey season does not require wearing blaze orange while sitting but one must post a blaze orange band visible 360 degrees within 10' of one's calling location and blaze orange must be worn walking to and from calling locations.

BPS
Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
So do i my blaze orange coveralls.

Years ago a friend in WV was shot. A squirrel tail was dangling from his hunting coat.

Funny you mention that falcon... it reminds me of a story told to me by a good friend from Kentucky.

Well, as told to me by my friend... he went to high school with a backwoods kid who went by the name of Jim Tom. Now Ol' Jim Tom was never touted as being the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was out squirrel hunting with a .22 rifle one day and having a good time. He was wearing a standard issue woodland camo military fatigue coat and was putting the squirrels he shot in the side pockets.

When the side pockets got full, he stuck the next one he shot in the left breast pocket and left the squirrel's tail hanging out as he stood next to a tree watching for another squirrel. Well, some fella walking through the woods spotted that squirrel tail and gave Jim Tom a load of shot in the chest from a 12 ga. shotgun at a pretty close range. Upon realizing what he'd done, he helped get Jim Tom out of the woods and summoned help.

According to my friend, as he was told this story by Jim Tom himself later, when they got him in the ambulance they realized he had a collapsed lung so they thrust a stainless steel tube into that lung to get it reopened. Jim Tom was still conscious when they did it and he told my friend he shouted, DAMN!!... IT'S BAD ENOUGH I'VE BEEN SHOT BUT YOU SONZA B**CHES GOTTA STAB ME TOO!!

The ironic part is, putting the squirrel tail in his breast pocket with the tail hanging out is what contributed to him getting shot but they told him that the squirrels body also helped keep pellets from penetrating through to his heart which would have killed him.

Fact or fiction?? I don't know... but it was one helluva good story when my friend told it to me!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.