Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

I have returned....

Old 07-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was surprised they still make V-PEEP....I mounted mine back behind the frizzen not where your original rear sight is had gunsmith drill hole there this puts it closer to my eye out farther it was too blurry ....

its under RMC V-PEEP ....
Old 07-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

What you can do is go to the hardware store and see what thread size the peep is by trying different size bolts/screws.
Then, if you have access to a drill press, drill out your own aperture.
I like shooting a peep. I feel I can shoot it as well as a scope out to 50 yards.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

going to try new .018 patch material on tuesday ..Will cut at muzzle ..cant show pic of my patchs they had black ring around ball and all around outside of patch was little cuts ..
Old 07-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Banned

you came back at the wrong time LOL. This place is collecting cob webs.

Sounds like some burrs in the bore.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

yes, could not believe how long its been.Last year I FOUND fine a mark in bore 3/4 inch from muzz.about length of 370 maxi-ball.i thought it was lead but i do not think so.what caused that is beyond me .i started using the max-balls without bore butter on them at that time .before i never had ring around the bore in that spot .it does not look like lead it looks like its into rifling ..broke my heart to see that.so i used j b bore paste hoping it was lead but i do not believe it is..

what could cause that to happen 1 inch from muzz..cOULD DRY MAX-BALL CUT BORE...

Last edited by sproulman; 08-01-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Made up cayugad napa mix going to try his idea on cut patches at muzzle...will see what it does this week..
Old 08-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
yes, could not believe how long its been.Last year I FOUND fine a mark in bore 3/4 inch from muzz.about length of 370 maxi-ball.i thought it was lead but i do not think so.what caused that is beyond me .i started using the max-balls without bore butter on them at that time .before i never had ring around the bore in that spot .it does not look like lead it looks like its into rifling ..broke my heart to see that.so i used j b bore paste hoping it was lead but i do not believe it is..

what could cause that to happen 1 inch from muzz.. COULD DRY MAX-BALL CUT BORE...

sproul...

I have shot Maxi's for years and I'm hear to tell ya, there's NO WAY a dry Maxi would gouge your bore. Even if you were using hard lead, (which you would would find very difficult to start) that wouldn't gouge your bore. My guesstimate is that you inadvertently scratched or gouged it with a jag while cleaning or loading.

BPS
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

sproul...

As for the issue of modifying your V-peep, I don't believe it will work out like you want it to. The V-peep is made of machined aluminum and there's not much material there to get some threads into on that blade. Further, I don't think the aperture, depending on what you choose, would be able to slide up and down the elevation ramp without interference. You would be better off to go with a Lyman tang peep or try to find one of the original T/C hunter style tang peeps but be prepared to pay dearly for it if you do.

Just my $.02...

BPS
Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sproul - it's possible that it may be lead. I was shooting my Marlin Cowboy a couple weeks ago using hard cast lead bullets with a pretty stout load. I used Hoppe's Elite Lead and Copper fouling remover. Scrubbed the bore with a wet patch, let it set a bit then worked a brass brush through the bore. It took quite a while to get all the lead out of the bore. You could see the fine slivers of lead on the patches. And being that Maxis are a lot softer, lead fouling is a good possibility.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
sproul...

I have shot Maxi's for years and I'm hear to tell ya, there's NO WAY a dry Maxi would gouge your bore. Even if you were using hard lead, (which you would would find very difficult to start) that wouldn't gouge your bore. My guesstimate is that you inadvertently scratched or gouged it with a jag while cleaning or loading.

BPS
Good to hear ..For life of me I cannot figure out how it happen i thought it was LEAD build up from dry maxi-ball also ....It did show metal on my eye glass screw tool .Going to look at it again..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.