Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Try this again

Old 06-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Try this again

I hope I have better luck with a couple R&R days than the last time I planned some! Going up to the cabin tomorrow morning. I have the truck all packed. Going to be shooting the Pedersoli Frontier flinter and the Rene .58 caplock. A report will follow sometime friday when I get back home.
Only thing left to throw in the truck are some eats and "refreshments" for after shooting and the dog for company.
(She doesn't talk back and agrees with everything I do - or don't do!)
Old 06-29-2016, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck with the rifles. I will be waiting to see how that flint lock does. And the companion on your trip sounds perfect too.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I hope I have better luck with a couple R&R days than the last time I planned some! Going up to the cabin tomorrow morning. I have the truck all packed. Going to be shooting the Pedersoli Frontier flinter and the Rene .58 caplock. A report will follow sometime friday when I get back home.
Only thing left to throw in the truck are some eats and "refreshments" for after shooting and the dog for company.
(She doesn't talk back and agrees with everything I do - or don't do!)

What's the status on your Hoyt barrel Bud?? Is he still laid up and unable to continue the work?

BPS
Old 06-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

tell you vial email Barry
Dave: I shot both the .58 Rene and .50 Pedersoli flint. The .58 shot fantastic. Will post pic of target later. The Pedersoli however was a different story. Yeah it was very accurate when I could get it to go off! I don't know what happened to it from the last time. The only thing I did different was change out the original vent liner to a RMC liner. That normally improves ignition but I only loaded it 4 times and had 4 fail to fire. The first I thought may have been residual oil in the barrel so I took out the vent and put in some FFFFg, reinstalled and fired. Next load same thing but after 2 pan flashes without ignition I loaded up the pan and got it to fire. Third load loaded the pan full again and another flash in the pan. Filled again and tapped it into the vent hole. Got a fire with a slight delay. Checking the 50 yard target all three were just below the bull in a nice group using a 6 O'clock hold. With the 4th load I had 2 more failures and the third holding the front sight in the center of the bull the ball punched a hole in the black. I was happy with the accuracy but not the reliability. I have to see if I can find the original vent liner and try it again.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

A couple pics from my little 2 day get away.
Attached Thumbnails Try this again-camp-side-view.jpg   Try this again-country-ribs.jpg   Try this again-me-saying-grace.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
tell you vial email Barry
Dave: I shot both the .58 Rene and .50 Pedersoli flint. The .58 shot fantastic. Will post pic of target later. The Pedersoli however was a different story. Yeah it was very accurate when I could get it to go off! I don't know what happened to it from the last time. The only thing I did different was change out the original vent liner to a RMC liner. That normally improves ignition but I only loaded it 4 times and had 4 fail to fire. The first I thought may have been residual oil in the barrel so I took out the vent and put in some FFFFg, reinstalled and fired. Next load same thing but after 2 pan flashes without ignition I loaded up the pan and got it to fire. Third load loaded the pan full again and another flash in the pan. Filled again and tapped it into the vent hole. Got a fire with a slight delay. Checking the 50 yard target all three were just below the bull in a nice group using a 6 O'clock hold. With the 4th load I had 2 more failures and the third holding the front sight in the center of the bull the ball punched a hole in the black. I was happy with the accuracy but not the reliability. I have to see if I can find the original vent liner and try it again.
Bronko, are you picking your vent liner between shots? My pedersoli does the same thing if I don't stick a pick in the vent liner a time or two. However, I still use the original vent in mine. Looks like y'all had a good time.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

SB- I compared the original to the RMC and the RMC is about 1/8" shorter than the original. That is possibly the problem. I reinstalled the original and will take it out in a couple days.
Believe me I tried everything with the RMC liner in. I picked it, even bumped the stock to get the charge against it.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like you had my plate ready and was waitin for me to show up.Sorry I,m late and I,ll be on my way soon.