Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

The Hatfield Makes Smoke

Old 02-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
..... I have some 3/4 - 1" flints that might work for you. Let me double check their width. ...... Otherwise...I have some 5/8th by 1 inch I am almost positive.
If you're open to a swap, I can send you about ten pounds of pure soft lead in 1.5 lb. ingots in exchange for a half dozen of those flints.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi...

Have you ever tried those Missouri white flints that Rich Pierce hand knaps? I like them. They don't quite have the longevity of Tom Fuller's black English flints, but his price is very reasonable.

BPS
Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes BPS. I've used them in the GP's. The ones I got were a bit more irregular in shape than were the black English flints I got from Track of the Wolf. But spark very well. You're right about both longevity and price. All in all, they're a good value and I'd recommend them to anyone needing flints.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I forgot to mention in the report guys. After I finished shooting all of those round balls, and just for grins, I tried Ed Mehlig's 350 grain .451 conicals in the gun. They were loaded over 65 grains GOEX FFFg with 1/8" felt wad. The bullets fit the bore well and I was wondering how they would behave in that 1:48" twist.

Well, I only took two shots. They both keyholed the target at 25 yards and even with only 65 grains of powder recoil was brutal in the little gun. No more of that.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
One thing I forgot to mention in the report guys. After I finished shooting all of those round balls, and just for grins, I tried Ed Mehlig's 350 grain .451 conicals in the gun. They were loaded over 65 grains GOEX FFFg with 1/8" felt wad. The bullets fit the bore well and I was wondering how they would behave in that 1:48" twist.

Well, I only took two shots. They both keyholed the target at 25 yards and even with only 65 grains of powder recoil was brutal in the little gun. No more of that.
Semi...

Did you try any of those nasty plastic wrapped projectiles in it like you mentioned you might?

BPS
Old 02-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did not BPS. Ran out of time. It's still on the to do list.