Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

grrw-ca rifles and pistols

Old 01-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Any idea how long the waiting list is? I sure wouldn't want to go on a waiting list and not wait so long as to be too old and feeble to hunt with it!!
A full stock flintlock Hawken looks real nice in the pics on their site.
The half stock Missouri River Hawken looks good too. Hmmmm wonder if there's a discount on a multiple purchase...:-)
well i just bought a original grrw .58 cal 36" hawken barrel new unused off gun broker it's a 1-60 twist and i'm hoping i can use it for my new rifle that i order that will be great having an original grrw barrel in there!
Old 01-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

so here's the latest in my grrw-ca build (s) i have been given a gunsmiths name he used to work at grrw i won't give name yet until he ok's but anyway i was lucky enough to find two original grrw .58 cal barrels on gunbroker one is 36" and the other is 22" both 1-60 twist 1" across the flats both are unused and both have the original tangs will have next week some time.so anyway he will build both matching rifle and pistol for me the 22" will be cut down and the 36" in a full stock hawken the rifle will be 003 in the series and the pistol 001 so i'm pretty excited to say the least until i get the bill anyway ! don't have any other info at this time but will keep posted if you like ?
Old 01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
so here's the latest in my grrw-ca build (s) i have been given a gunsmiths name he used to work at grrw i won't give name yet until he ok's but anyway i was lucky enough to find two original grrw .58 cal barrels on gunbroker one is 36" and the other is 22" both 1-60 twist 1" across the flats both are unused and both have the original tangs will have next week some time.so anyway he will build both matching rifle and pistol for me the 22" will be cut down and the 36" in a full stock hawken the rifle will be 003 in the series and the pistol 001 so i'm pretty excited to say the least until i get the bill anyway ! don't have any other info at this time but will keep posted if you like ?
muzzlestuffer...

WOW! That's great! Having a matching custom rifle and pistol would be awesome so yes I'm certain that most, if not all of us, will be happy to have you keep us updated on this!

BPS
Old 01-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
muzzlestuffer...

WOW! That's great! Having a matching custom rifle and pistol would be awesome so yes I'm certain that most, if not all of us, will be happy to have you keep us updated on this!

BPS
i will and i'm even more suprised i was able to get those barrels i figured somebody would have been bidding like crazy on them ?
Old 01-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

Update:

SUBJECT: GRRW CA is up and is now running. "Building One Gun At A Time".

I have been asked “how’s the project going with getting the former employees of Green River Rifle Works back together”. Not sure if this was a slam (tongue in cheek thing) or they were really wanting to know what was stated. This idea started between Ron Paull and myself in October 2015, most thought it would be fun to see the group back together building guns. But most agreed it would never happen because of the ages of the old employees now 40 years later. That attitude of “it can be done” has always pissed me off, negative remarks seem to be in their makeup. That’s sad to never have a positive moment, good luck with that mode.

I built a website to gather folks with fond memories of the old firm of GRRW. I found several guys, both collectors, one with a website the other producing a newsletter. I contacted them and they agreed with my idea, they have tried to sell “T” shirts with the logo not having much luck. I told them when you contact one of these firms for supplying such items you need to have a game plan.

1) Look for the best quality items at fair prices. You do not want to be the middleman.
2) The supplier takes the order: collects the funds, handles the shipping.
3) They are the contact person if there’s a problem.

Sounds pretty straight forward until you start contacting these garment folks, they want you to do everything mentioned and have a large inventory like done with the original shirts. After talking to a half dozen companies I found an old friend just retired that had just opened a new company, she liked my thoughts for GRRW hats, shirts and jackets. THE TREADED DRAGON, located in Parker CO. http://www.threadeddragon.com

With starting with this idea one month earlier then announced on this site in November 01, 2015 we have moved forward with an idea that wouldn’t work.

Next I built a website associated with the old firm of “GRRW”, the “GRRW Collector” websites and the “Green River Gazette” newsletter. New site called “GRRW Collectors Association” is found at http://furtradebooks.tripod.com/index.htm

At the same time we started talking about building guns with the man Doc White, owner of the old firm of GRRW. He liked the idea of getting former employees back together again along with possibly using them as custom gunsmith build the old firm’s guns. That’s all I needed to hear and having his approval another website was started with Doc overseeing what was done. Now seen at http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm

I knew of several old friends that had wanted GRRW guns for years, we contacted them if still interested. The process was now moving with the motto “Building One Gun At A Time”. Three (3) guns were ordered with Doc White, Carl Walker and Ron Paull being put to work.

Mike Nesbitt was contacted, (having columns in several muzzle-loading magazines) to see if he was interested in this idea. He got really excited as he was a fan of GRRW for years. He will write an article to be published in the Spring/Summer 2016 issue of the “Muzzleloader” magazine.

With three models being built at this time, a Jim Bridger Hawken, a Leman Trade rifle and a Poor Boy with orders for several more now on a “Customer Waiting List”.

To read how the Process at works see a brief resume below or go to the website.

is just a source for those desiring an excellent copy of the original guns of “GRRW”. Your first contact will by email with our contact person who can answer any questions you may have. "Building One Gun At A Time" is our motto & the way the process is done. When ordering a firearm your name is placed on a “Waiting List”. When the next available gunsmith has finished his last build you will be contacted to start the process. NO backorders - NO deposits.

PROCESS When your name has been placed on the “Waiting List” you have started the process. When there's an available gunsmith you will be contacted that your build is next in line.

1) If still interested, you will be provided with the gunsmith's email or his phone number in some cases to start talking about your wants and desires.
2) The smith will go over the parts needed for your custom firearm build (build sheet).
3) The gunsmith will provide you with the supplier of choice (determined by your upgrades). A list of parts will be discussed along with any part changes from the normal rifle/pistol parts kits.
4) You the customer orders the required parts kit, pays for the kit at the supplier’s store by phone or on their website & has the kit shipped to your personal gunsmith's location provided by the smith.
5) You & your gunsmith will keep in contact during the building process for any changes or upgrades desired.
6) Once the firearm is completed the gunsmith will contact you letting you know your rifle/pistol is ready for delivery. You will pay the gunsmith for his labor & the cost of shipping to your address.

NO middleman, NO additional charges at the front or the end of your build, just parts, labor & shipping (NO hidden costs or add-ons). A straight forward process for you working with a custom gunsmith & getting what you have dreamed of since the closing of the GRRW.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have been contacted and my builds are under preliminary discussion with ron paull i have spoken with him thru e-mail only and will be talking on the phone with him next week when he is available and we will start the process of costs and parts if we can agree an the costs which i'm sure we can achieve. i am pretty excited about this whole process and just the fact that some real world craftsmen are going to be building these fantastic guns is exciting and hopefully will endure. we will never have another opportunity to do this so i am taking advantage of it. i still have enough life in me to use my new guns for future hunts but if i didn't i would still want to buy one for the the fact that one of the original builders had a part in it and of course the value of one of these guns down the road.well i'll keep you posted on my builds as we proceed.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure you can say we'll never have this opportunity again. Custom Hawken rifles have always been available and i'm sure they will be in the future.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Not sure you can say we'll never have this opportunity again. Custom Hawken rifles have always been available and i'm sure they will be in the future.
i'm sorry i thought it would be taken as the original grrw builders not custom hawken rifles in general.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=muzzlestuffer;4241509]well i heard from buck yesterday if you haven't already got the news the pricing for the rifles and pistols is out and it's not bad at all it's right in line with some of the custom builders pricing.......[/QUOTE]

Mr. Muzzlestuffer,

Thank you for your kind words, per Doc White his idea for building a custom muzzle-loader had to be within the current prices seen today. It seems the only thing anymore is the rising cost of quality parts, these smiths aren't getting rich off the fruits of their labor.

When first starting the old firm gunsmiths received $3.00 an hour and were under pressure to build a quality firearm as fast as possible.

From Doc's ideas brought several different ideas on how to build muzzle-loading firearms used today; pre-carved stocks, correct castings for hardware, quality barrels, etc. all done within house.

Doc is still coming up with ideas on keeping costs down and always inventing new designs on modern firearms. Go to http://whitemuzzleloading.com/ website and you'll see what he's up to today.

Best part of White's ideas is he a nut for hunting, everything is always field tested before being made available to you guys. Not many can say this in todays worlds of $$$. "God Bless the Man."

These guns are being built by the former gunsmiths of GRRW 30 years after the old firm closed. The guns are marked [GRRW CA] - "CA" stands for "Collectors Association" not connected to the original firm and it's problems at time of closing. Per our "Mission Statement & Disclaimer" this is addressed.

See: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm

I'm working on this website "live" correcting alinement of pages seen, seems "Goggle" and "Explorer" are slightly different when viewing from one to the other. Makes for a long day with making adjustments when you guys view others work through the Internet. Site builders desire to bring you the best quality we can and as fast as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Buck

Last edited by Buck Conner; 02-09-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Hey Muley,

"These guns are being built by the former gunsmiths of GRRW 30 years after the old firm closed. The guns are marked [GRRW CA] - "CA" stands for "Collectors Association" not connected to the original firm and it's problems at time of closing. Per our "Mission Statement & Disclaimer" this is addressed."

The low serial numbers have caught the collectors attention already with a dozen lined up and waiting for an available smith who has just finished his last build. Fun Stuff for an idea that many said "won't work". Wait till Mike Nesbitt's article appears in "Muzzleloader" in the late Spring of 2016. Then all hell breaks loose for these guys.

Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.