Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Cleaning up my Flintlock bore next

Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Banned

petro isnt bad for the bore if its cleaned out before loading. Same goes with the natural lubes. Pouring powder into a bore thats been coated with a lube does nothing more than make a mess as the powder sticks to it, making for an inconsistent charge for that first shot.

Ive got to many orders to fill to give away that many but i can certainly spare a few.

Keep rust off steel is what I had in plan when I designed my lube.

This is how much I trust it and this is just the first step.

Supposed to get into the 50's tomorrow, so that's going to make for some great moisture!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

WHEW! 22 shots today ranging from 20 grains on up to 100 grains 2fg goex. Man, it was fun though! I had to flip the flint because it became to stubby to knap anymore. After that I was back in action.

I had 3 fail to spark ( 1 due to fouling and the other 2 due to the thick flint) & then 1 flash in the pan when I added to little of powder. Other than that, she was fast and accurate.

I found a new load of 60gr 2fg goex to group excellent at 50 yards.

When I upped my charge to 100gr, I started using precut .015" patches and normally, these are shredded up badly. Today, there was zero shredding/holes/cuts. I think I am getting a lot of the roughness out of the bore. All the other shots I used .018" pillow tick that I cut at the muzzle.

Really no need for pictures until I clean the rifle and run the bore cam down.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
WHEW! 22 shots today ranging from 20 grains on up to 100 grains 2fg goex. Man, it was fun though! I had to flip the flint because it became to stubby to knap anymore. After that I was back in action.

I had 3 fail to spark ( 1 due to fouling and the other 2 due to the thick flint) & then 1 flash in the pan when I added to little of powder. Other than that, she was fast and accurate.

I found a new load of 60gr 2fg goex to group excellent at 50 yards.

When I upped my charge to 100gr, I started using precut .015" patches and normally, these are shredded up badly. Today, there was zero shredding/holes/cuts. I think I am getting a lot of the roughness out of the bore. All the other shots I used .018" pillow tick that I cut at the muzzle.

Really no need for pictures until I clean the rifle and run the bore cam down.
That sounds promising MD... curious to see how that bore's gonna look!

BPS
Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

MD - when you get the new batch of polishing lube made let me know and I'll order it off you plus maybe some other stuff. Send me a PM when ready and I'll send you my address and we can arrange payment.
BTW my borescope came in yesterday. I got the 5mm. The box is marked 5mm endoscope. My wife asked me what it was for and I told her that I wasn't paying the Drs anymore for our colonoscopys and that I was going to do them myself and I hope the 5 meter one was long enough for her! She just rolled her eyes at me....
Old 02-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
MD - when you get the new batch of polishing lube made let me know and I'll order it off you plus maybe some other stuff. Send me a PM when ready and I'll send you my address and we can arrange payment.
BTW my borescope came in yesterday. I got the 5mm. The box is marked 5mm endoscope. My wife asked me what it was for and I told her that I wasn't paying the Drs anymore for our colonoscopys and that I was going to do them myself and I hope the 5 meter one was long enough for her! She just rolled her eyes at me....
WHAAA HAAAA HAA!!! Bronko, you're too much Bud!! ... Seriously, how much does one of those things cost? Are they really something necessary for guys like you and I? I can see having one if you were in the business of buying or trading ML's a lot, but for those of us who take care of our guns properly, is the cost justifiable? Should we lay awake nights worrying about our bores until we purchase one of these?... LOL!

BPS
Old 02-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think if an individual believes the cost is justifiable, it is justifiable. No harm to anyone else.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I think if an individual believes the cost is justifiable, it is justifiable. No harm to anyone else.
It's OK Oldtimr... I'm just bustin' on my buddy bronko... I'm sure he understands!

BPS
Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Banned

They run about $15+ depending on size. They really are a great tool to keep on hand. I've used mine a couple times on engines to take a look inside the spark plug and check out the pistons. A lot of great uses for a bore scope.

10-4 Bronko. I am actually getting ready to fill the bottles and label.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
They run about $15+ depending on size. They really are a great tool to keep on hand. I've used mine a couple times on engines to take a look inside the spark plug and check out the pistons. A lot of great uses for a bore scope.

10-4 Bronko. I am actually getting ready to fill the bottles and label.
Well that's much less than I expected. I figured they would be between 70-100 bucks! Do you have a particular make/model that you prefer or recommend?

BPS
Old 02-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I paid $13.69 on ebay which included shipping. I checked it out and it works great. The 6 little led lights have an adjustable intensity via a rheostat at the USB plug.
Mine has a 15' cord (5M) and is waterproof. I'm sure there could me many other uses for it besides muzzies. You can use it to look anywhere you need to see but can't get your head into or an inspection mirror. Vehicles, duct work, etc.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-06-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.