logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Old 03-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Boone & Crockett

Default What arrow rest?

I bought an old Herters Recurve bow this past summer in a yard sale really cheap. It came with a string and all but the arrow rest was not on it. I bought one that was still new that was a Herters target shooting rest. I asked a guy about it and he says do not use it. That is because the new arrow rest would require to have the bow drilled.. So what type of rest would you use? It is an old target bow that I bought to mess around with.. This was a very cheap purchase from an older fella that was having a hard time getting around.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Phil from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Spike

Use any arrow rest that you like-try them and see what suites you best.No such thing as one size fits all!
hcorrigall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
Spike

I remember 20 years ago I had one of those Bear hair rests. Never ever remember it making noise when drawing for target shooting. I was using aluminum arrows back them. A doe walked past me and I set up, picked my spot and started to draw back. All was very quiet and I remember hearing "Shooo" as the arrow slide across that fake hair. The does ears pointed back too as she heard it. Luckily I released quick and killed her. I continued using the hair rest but switched to wood arrows and they are quiet on the draw.

I have used the elevated rests too, but I have had them break before and ruin shooting until you buy another one.

Personally I would use a hair rest with plate as its simple with less to break. Just relaying my story of the noisy arrow.
archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote