Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Hunt for Feral hog with son >

Hunt for Feral hog with son

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hunt for Feral hog with son

Old 09-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunt for Feral hog with son

Pigs have over ran hunting property. So we have been hunting them every weekend. My son got his first kill with his recurve Sunday. He shot a piglet at 18 yards and got a pass through shot. Piglet ran about 50 yards and crashed. Granted piglet wasn't intended target but he still got it. His bow slapped his hip quiver when he released. He was shooting at a big boar but it must have been his lucky day.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hogs are sure a Texas problem. My ranch is North of Cisco Texas in Eastland Co. and we are over ran with them boogers. I want my grandson (12) to get his first pig, I've been taking him a lot but he hasn't been presented with a good shot yet.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

My other son got a shot on a big sow. It was also his first shot on anything bigger than a rabbit. He shot a little high and got into the spine. She ran off crashing into the youpons. She was very unsteady on her legs. I got to watch from the ground since he was sitting with his older brother. The herd had winded me at another stand so I got down and pushed the herd to them. After giving her some time we started looking. She broke his arrow about three inches from insert. There was blood about 3 inches up on the arrow. So she still has the broadhead and 3 inches of his arrow. There was virtually no blood other than on his arrow. We scouted the pig trails and previous paths of downed pigs. We never found her. He was upset. I told him the shot placement was high but she was definitely down. At least no no more piglets from her.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got one

Well no deer yet but two more hogs down. Sat in the stand till dark and the pigs came in. They walked around my stand and straight to Kevin Payne's stand. I heard him shoot and pigs came running back. I went and got Arron Smith out of his stand to help locate Kevin's kill. We met Kevin at his stand to locate his pig. We circled around behind my stand without seeing his pig. So we all stripped gear off. I had my longbow with one arrow. Arron had his recurve with one arrow. Kevin was already down to just his .40 cal pistol. So we followed the pigs normal trail looking for his pig. These woods are tough to navigate in daylight and even worse at night. We ended up down past Arron's stand. As we made his feeder area we heard the herd of pigs. I gave chase with Kevin and Arron on my heals. Arron and Kevin got hung up in a youpon grove. I kept pursuing pigs trying to work my way in front of them. We ended up about 60 yards from Arron's stand. Finally one of the pigs paused a brief second and I drew and released my arrow. I was watching pig trying to confirm my hit when the pig turned. Kevin fired 6 rounds and the woods were alive with gun fire and pigs running crashing through brush. When everything settled down I went and retrieved my arrow. I made a clean pass through shot with a nice blood trail. We tracked pig for about 50 yards through some thick brush. All of a sudden the blood trail ended. I was looking for blood when Kevin said hey the pig is right there. Pig was down but sitting up still alive. We had walked right by her. I shot her again with same arrow for a quick death. Then we followed blood trail back out dragging my trophy. While I field dressed my kill Arron and Kevin continued looking for Kevin's pig. They retrieved his arrow covered in blood but could not locate a blood trail. As I was cleaning pig I found Kevin did hit her low on the front leg with one round. So he got a clean pass through too. As exciting as the hunt was and excited that I made a clean double lung pass through shot under stress. I told Arron what we did was dangerous especially in the dark. The pigs could of brought the fight to us. But I trusted my equipment and the people I was with. Exciting night for me for sure and they had a blast too.