Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
What is traditional, really? >

What is traditional, really?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What is traditional, really?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default What is traditional, really?

I'm humbled:

http://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk

Still don't know how to embed video here,sorry.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

He's got talent for sure. It's entertaining, but since people don't fight wars with bows and arrows anymore I'm not sure there's any practical applications for his skills.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

haha, true.

However, my take away is that archery is a flow, a rhythm, beyond the skills and the latest and greatest equipment; an archer, perhaps, more than the sum.
Today we spend an awful lot of time paper tuning, analyzing spine weights and shooter form,etc.
Maybe it's all so much more simple.

As for the practical applications, having a fraction of that guy's speed and accuracy in the field would certainly tip the scales in my favor.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Today we spend an awful lot of time paper tuning, analyzing spine weights and shooter form,etc.
Maybe it's all so much more simple.
The archers I know that have proven themselves in the field by killing critters, winning tournaments, and coaching winners focus on those things.

IMO that guy has a natural talent. My bet is 99.999% of us would never get to that point regardless how much we practiced.

As for the practical applications, having a fraction of that guy's speed and accuracy in the field would certainly tip the scales in my favor.
I didn't see him take any shots that would help me. Way too much movement.

Again though, it was entertaining and pretty amazing, but practical? Not to me. If the guy is that good at any distance, he should be winning medals in the Olympics.

Might be interesting to see him in a trick shooting contest with Byron Ferguson. Going to be hard for Byron to top that shot where he splits the arrow shot at him. Not sure I'm buying that one. Stupid dangerous for both archers to attempt.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

LBR-
what is most interesting to me about Lars' video is that he took it to another level by studying and getting back to the early, the historical roots of archery.

Shedding all pretense, as it were.
Thinking outside the box.

We don't seem to appreciate this in the same light- it isn't about trick shots and Olympic medals, not at all.

Archery and hunting are not necessarily always synonymous, neither are they mutually exclusive; it's more Zen.
I am reminded of the Japanese practice of Kyudo, while watching him.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:59 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

LBR-
what is most interesting to me about Lars' video is that he took it to another level by studying and getting back to the early, the historical roots of archery.
I could be wrong, but I think the bow and arrow was originally conceived for hunting. What he studied is more applicable to war, if at all. I've never seen or read anything about his "style" other than in his videos (I've seen at least 2 or 3).

It reminds me of some old Bruce Lee videos, where he would strike matches with nunchuks or play table tennis with them. Absolutely amazing and fun to watch, but practical or something most anyone could learn? Not at all.

We don't seem to appreciate this in the same light- it isn't about trick shots and Olympic medals, not at all.
I can appreciate the dedication and skill required, but in the end it's entertainment. Like a skilled acrobat or juggler.

Archery and hunting are not necessarily always synonymous, neither are they mutually exclusive;...
I agree.

...it's more Zen.
I am reminded of the Japanese practice of Kyudo, while watching him.
I don't know a whole lot about Kyudo, but he doesn't make me think of it at all. What I've seen and read, Kyudo is all about specific and controlled movements. It's more about how the bow is shot than it is about hitting the target.

He pretty well breaks all the rules of most disciplined archers, but somehow he pulls it off. My bet is there's a reason he's the only one you see doing it, and I'd also bet there are a lot of things he isn't disclosing. The story of getting to the "roots" of archery is just part of the show. I take it with a grain of salt.

I wonder if he ever does live shows, or if he is video only?

If you haven't watched, you would probably really like Kassai. He does mounted archery, and is also amazing. Also a type of archery derived from war and not at all practical today, but he can make some unbelievable shots from the back of a horse running full gallop. He does live shows as well.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

LBR-

do you know how to embed videos vs only pasting the hyperlink?
Seems admin has not turned the option on?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:55 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

No idea--sorry.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Got back from the World Archery Festival in Vegas this past Monday. Made me think of this thread. Those guys are amazing shots, and they all have a very similar form...very controlled, very disciplined, very precise.

In an accuracy contest with a traditional bow, I'd put my money on Dewayne Martin!