Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
trying to get back to traditional >

trying to get back to traditional

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

trying to get back to traditional

Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default trying to get back to traditional

Long story, but to make it short I had to hang up the trad bows about 15 years ago due to shoulder problems (bone spurs & bursitis).
I retired this year and thought maybe without the work I was doing every day keeping my shoulders inflamed I could get back to shooting the recurve or longbow a little.
I bought a shooting glove, (when I used to shoot every day I just shot bare fingers, but those callouses are long gone) and today got the old recurve out cleaned it off and made a dozen shots into the old bag target in my garage (at about 12 yards).
No pain today, but I plan is to start with 12 shots then just add one shot a day for a month or so and see how the body holds up.
No problem drawing the bow weight (it's 49#@28", but I draw 29 1/4"), and by the time I shot 6 or 8 arrows I was actually shooting fairly well for accuracy.
Just using some old POC arrows I made back when I was shooting every day, and they still work.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:23 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Great--hope it all works out!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Spike

I understand the feeling wabi
I've about gave up my trad hunting. I actually put a Tomahawk long on the market today. I still have 2 Dalas recurves. I've did more gun hunting this year than in past
Hope it all works out for you
Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a plan wabi. Work up every day, if it starts to hurt back it off. Even if you just manage 12 shots a day, you'll see results with that.
-Jake
Old 01-07-2016, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually break my bow out around end of July and that's about all I do... Shoot a dozen arrows a day... Good to be back ain't it
Old 01-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Spike

I have had my high and low moments with traditional archery as well, but I found a small business near me that helps me with my gear and questions. Keeps me going with my love for the sport.
http://www.ontargetarcheryva.com