Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
First season hunting with Recurve >

First season hunting with Recurve

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

First season hunting with Recurve

Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Spike

Default First season hunting with Recurve

So I will be hunting with a recurve for the first time this season, any of the older and more seasoned hunters on here have any advice or tips?

I'm shooting off the shelf, instinctively without any sights. The bow is a Samick Sage #45. I will be shooting either allen carbon or easton aluminum arrows with a fixed broadhead. I can hit pretty accurately at 20 yds as I have been practicing for several months now. I have also been thinking about getting a new string as the string that it came with is starting to unravel, any suggestions?

I am not new to hunting but was also wondering if you guys have a specific favorite way to hunt with recurve - Stalk, Blind, Stand? Will be hunting with it all season hopefully.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Relax and wait for the shot. If you have been hunting with a compound, with high let off, you need to remember you will not be able to draw and hold. As for your set up I am somewhat concerned. Carbon arrows are going to be pretty light per inch for decent penetration out of a 45# bow. I can only assume you are pushing a 300-400 grain arrow (9 or so grains per inch). If you have not weighted them, you are probably not going to get good penetration. Also, what head weight are you pushing? I would assume light (125) for the arrow you describe. Fixed heads are the way to go and a double blade is even better than a three blade. I use 600+ arrows with a minimum of 145 grain, two blade head. I usually shoot a longbow in the range of 62-70lbs, depending on what setup I grab. Or should say, use to grab. I am dealing with a hand issue that is going to put my longbows on the bench this season. First time in over 20+ years I have had to hunt with a compound.

As for hunting style. What ever the opportunity gives me. I usually start in a tree. If I spot deer moving to where they will not come down the trail I am hunting over, I might get down and try to set up to ambush. I have hunted my land for a long time and pretty much know where the trails are and how the deer tend to move.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Relax and wait for the shot. If you have been hunting with a compound, with high let off, you need to remember you will not be able to draw and hold.
Hey did someone wake you up Bubba?

I agree with Burnie; wait for the shot and draw when the time if right.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

This Mayor thing is keeping me real busy. I am waiting on some engineers right now, so while waiting I decided to see what you guys are doing.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
This Mayor thing is keeping me real busy. I am waiting on some engineers right now, so while waiting I decided to see what you guys are doing.
I'm thinking of going to my lake house in the morning and bring my Double Bull blind. The ranch is only 45 minutes way... I sure need to get it put up..
Story of my life waiting on Engineers; I have a meetings next week with Engineers and Architects.. I'm running out of them I've fired several this year.