Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Adjusting to a Recurve Bow >

Adjusting to a Recurve Bow

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Adjusting to a Recurve Bow

Old 03-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Spike

Default Adjusting to a Recurve Bow

This is my first post. I don't hunt, just like to target shoot. I was given a couple of older compound bows a couple of months ago and thought I would give it a try. I will say it is an addictive sport. I haven't given much thought to my guns lately, and with the price and availability of ammo that might be a good thing.
I was reading some reviews of the Samick Sage a couple of weeks ago and finally decided to try one out. I got it Wednesday, strung it, then took it outside. Not bad. I'm using a 2' x 2' target bag and while I'm a little more accurate with a compound bow I was fairly accurate with the Sage, too. I took it out again Thursday with about the same results. I skipped Friday, then took it back out today. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn today. After about a half hour I was so discouraged I came back inside. I started out at 20 yards, the same I do with a compound bow. I moved in to 15 yards, but it didn't help. The arrows seemed to be curving badly to the left today and even appeared to be wobbling. I was using 12 different arrows, so I'm sure they couldn't all be bent. I haven't unstrung the Sage since I got it. Could this have damaged the bow in some way? I'm no expert marksman, but I don't think I'm as bad as I seemed to be today.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I usually unstring my stickbows when not in use, but no longer than youve had it i doubt leaving it strung would have hurt it. Traditional bows are harder to shoot, your form has to be very consistent, im guessing some how youve changed something in your preshot you dont even realize, either that or you arent following thru. Its really easy to get off your game, especially if you pick the bow up and start shooting it well right off the bat, then you get to thinking "heck this is easy" and then you will stop doing some of the things you were doing before because you think youve got it down pat. Its happened to me before too. Move in a little closer and take your time, notice what you are doing when things work and what you stopped doing when things dont. Also plenty of great books out there on stickbow shooting, one of those might help diagnose the problem too.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Spike

That's some good advice Scotty, thanks. I'm going to go back out tomorrow or Tuesday and give it another go. It's just the basic Sage setup. Everything's is tight and it looks fine, so there's really not much that could be wrong there. I use a mix of aluminum arrows and fiberglass arrows. I'll stick with only one type until I get better. I'm thinking of putting on a spare arrow rest I have, too. That should give me a little more control.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by magnum55
That's some good advice Scotty, thanks. I'm going to go back out tomorrow or Tuesday and give it another go. It's just the basic Sage setup. Everything's is tight and it looks fine, so there's really not much that could be wrong there. I use a mix of aluminum arrows and fiberglass arrows. I'll stick with only one type until I get better. I'm thinking of putting on a spare arrow rest I have, too. That should give me a little more control.
switching to an arrow rest, so you were shooting off the shelf before?

When you draw back how do you hold the string, all 3 fingers below the arrow or the index finger above?

how is your shot off, are you all over the place or are you consistently hitting the same spot, just not where you are aiming?

There is so much more to traditional bows than compound, you may want to look around for an instructor....it can shave months off your learning time having someone over your shoulder and making sure you have the basics down. After that, its just a matter of shooting time.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Spike

Smile

Yes, I've been shooting off the felt piece on the shelf. I went out for a few minutes today and fared a bit better than Saturday. I used only fiberglass arrows today. I still think I'll try an arrow rest. The arrows want to fall off the felt unless you hold the bow just right. I'll just keep practicing for now. I'll teach myself eventually like I did with the compound bow. Once I get things right and become more accurate I just have to stay consistent with everything. It's sort of like learning how to shoot guns, just cheaper and a lot more exercise, which I need. Thank you for your help ScottyCoyote.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

no problem dude goodluck
Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Find a club and visit--there are usually lot of folks willing to help. I don't know of a good beginner's guide, but "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III" is an excellent shooting video.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Spike

you need to say how many pounds you're shooting, & draw length, so someone can give you a little insite as to what arrows you should be using so you can make the most of your practice.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Spike

If your arrows are falling off your rest. You are twisting the string, when you draw back keep your hand straight when drawing, Keep your elbow up level with your shoulder, Using your back muscle - draw back, putting your index finger to the corner of your mouth, Open your hand and let string roll off your fingers. Stay in stance till arrow hits target. Always come to anchor. I teach my grandkids by throwing a balled up tissue out in front of them. First, practice coming to full draw and correct anchor. Once you are comfortable at that consistant anchor then you can work on shooting at further distances....Practice! Practice! Practice! you need to stay with it....it will get easier and more accurate.