Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

youth bow

Old 01-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Spike

Default youth bow

My 12 year old boy has a 24" draw. Here in Illinois you must have 40lb draw. He is wanting a recurve. I am thinking a Samick Sage with 50lb draw at 28" should be 40lb at his draw. And how do we set up arrows. Short or stay around 28". I am just getting into traditional archery so any advice would be great.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Spike

I have 55# samick sage bow and it shoots great. However, my younger brother who is 13 cannot even come close to pulling it back far enough for him to properly shoot. I highly suggest getting a lower set poundange. If he ever out grows the lower poundage just buy new limbs for the higher poundage. If he struggles too much when he's first starting out he may get discouraged and lose interest. Becoming accurate with a recurve is already a difficult task so I would start out with a 40# maybe a 45# so your son isn't getting overstrained and he can learn good form. As a side note, the sammick sage is a perfect begginner bow its not the most beautiful thing but it is built well and is more than capable of getting any job done that you ask of it.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Fourty pounds for a 12 year old is probably too much. Better to wait until he can handle the draw weight rather than make it uncomfortable, develop bad habits, etc.

The Sage is a great bow. You can go even cheaper with a Cartel riser and Sage limbs. Call Lancaster/Trad Tech and ask to speak to John Wert--he can set you up.

If you are looking for something fancier, call 3 Rivers or Kustom King and see what they have on hand.

For arrows, I'd leave them long, but tuning is the major factor. Leaving them long may let you use the same arrows as his draw length increases, but you want the arrows flying perfectly for the best penetration when hunting.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Spike

Picked up new bow today. He got black rhino 45lb@28", so he is pulling about 36lb. It is a great bow. Looks beautiful, and it will definintly send an arrow down range. Boy is definintly happy.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Good deal--never owned one, but heard those are nice bows.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:01 AM
Spike

Default learn more about crosman youth bow for your young child

consider other options like wildhorn crosman, it's most suited for kids 10-14 or even younger.

29-lbs draw weight
17-26 inches draw length
25 inches axle to axle length
5 inches brace height

read more about it https://authorityarchery.com/uncategorized/541.html
Old 03-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Spike

find this bow very good . all my life i have had guns .so am new to all of this but its the looks i like abount this bow .the beautiful wood . i do not shoot it i just look at it it is on my wall .but go by want lots of men and women say abount in the world it looks like a £ 250 bow.
Hope this link can help you choose the best recurve bow : http://hunthacks.com/best-recurve-bow/

Last edited by annahBunek273; 06-03-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Spike

I think this is a good choice for you, it's traditional look, no wheels. Reliability and its firing capacity is good. you can read more review here http://huntingactivity.com/samick-sa...wn-recurve-bow
Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 AM
Spike

the curve bow looks good