Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
bows...shooting question >

bows...shooting question

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

bows...shooting question

Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've never bothered with the formulas, and couldn't tell you the FOC of any set-up I have ever shot or currently shoot.

I just know what works for me, and what I see at tournaments--from the worst to the best. You'll see the ones that are really focused on score shooting lighter arrows. That was (is) one of the big selling points with metal risers and some ILF limbs--you can go as light as 5 gpp and not blow them up. Same goes with wheel bows--that's one reason there is an IBO speed and an AMO speed rating--one allows a lighter arrow, and that's one of the benchmarks the bows are judged by.

I'm really simple with it. I shoot what I like, and what I can shoot accurately. I listen to folks (one in particular) who has a ton more experience than I do, and who has proven himself in the field and in competition. And, of course, I use my own experience--works better than a calculator for me.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you shoot at your meets Chad?

im not interested in ILF bows or shooting a record round...im interested in being satisfied with were my ability is, and challenging myself... not making something as easy as possible.
but a little bit easier. i currently cannot practice like i want so my vision for the shot is not quite there and my judgment is suffering a little. Im thinking a higher poundage bow will help remedy some of that.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Usually I shoot my longbow, but sometimes I shoot a selfbow and once in a blue moon I'll shoot recurve for fun. They range in weight from 42# to 66# (at my draw length). Arrows are usually carbon (recurve), aluminum (recurve), or wood (longbow and selfbows). The only arrows I know the weight on (kinda) are the longbow arrows--they are around 9-9.5 gpp. I don't conciously make any elevation adjustments when switching from one to the other, and it seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing as to which bow I'll shoot better on a given day. Usually I do best with my longbow, because I shoot it a lot more than the rest, but it's not a guarantee.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by BCRules
I have a cleaner release with high poundage bows. It seems with low poundage, I have so much control, I have to really concentrate on my release.

I had a 66lb black widow for years, and shot it great. I was bad to short draw it. But cleanest releases ever. Just hurt my shoulders and quit.
I am the same way. All my bows are in the 60+lb area. My release is cleaner due to the string getting away from my fingers quicker. or that is how ive figured it. When I shoot a lighter bow, it feels like my release is not as good. Some thing I have noticed with others who go up a in weight, they tend to hand torque more.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yep--I have to work on my release more with lighter bows. More weight is a crutch or band-aid for a bad release, rather than a cure. It's like putting bigger feathers on arrows that don't fly straight, rather than matching arrows to the bow. I've been working on my release for years, but some days it still gets me.

Like Burnie noted, if you go heavier, it can get you in other ways. Get tired quicker, short-draw, torque, etc. "Everything is a trade-off"--no exceptions here.

The best thing I know of for getting a better release is learning how to properly use back tension. I thought I knew, until I got a short lesson a while back--now I'm working on that more.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again--the more I learn about this sport, the more I realize how little I really know.

Last edited by LBR; 03-08-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote=LBR;3782912]I've never bothered with the formulas, and couldn't tell you the FOC of any set-up I have ever shot or currently shoot.
quote]

In trad, I find it more important to deal with over all mass. My hunting arrows are alway over 620 grains total, with close to 20% foc. But if you are just shooting at targets, all that matters is how well the bow likes the set up. Not many targets care how well the arrow penetrates.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Not many targets care how well the arrow penetrates.
True, but I shoot critters too. So far, pass-throughs are the norm. If I shot borderline draw weights and/or light arrows, I'd probably pay more attention to things like FOC, but all I worry about is accuracy and an arrow that flies straight.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read somewhere I thought where Olympian trad shooters had FOC's In the high 20's. I really think It helps as It can help make up for bad releases and such.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Spike

Apha Capo,
Original question:
"I guess my question is do you guys notice that you are more accurate with higher poundage bows??? What Poundage do the better 3d guys shoot???? "
Answered:
Higher poundage is less accurate over time
The good tournament shooters use 40# to 45#
I'm sorry that reality doesn't fit your preconcieved notions.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Spike

the best shooters around here shoot light. My 3D bow is 40#, and with proper arrows shoots as fast or faster than a 60 pounder. It sure upped my scores, especially the last 6 targets or so in a shoot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.