Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Back From CO

Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Back From CO

Well, I didn't get a shot, but didn't come back empty handed. Out of the four of us, two guys got a cow each (one with a longbow, one with a compound--the compound shot was about 10 yds). We were in a great place--just a little bad luck and a lot of stupid mistakes (I learned a LOT about elk hunting) kept me from getting a shot. Busted several out, got a few bugles when I called, and had an excellent hunt. The rut hadn't started yet, or I believe all four of us would have tagged out. When we went back to town, folks were suprised to hear we had any luck--with bows at that. Most folks hadn't seen a thing, although we did see one BIG rack in the back of a truck in town. The scenery was awesome, the company was great, the hunting was the hardest I've ever done (they forget to pump in any oxygen in them dang mountains--shew!). Hope I get to do it again! The two guys that filled their tag shared their meat--great guys to say the least!

The other guy who didn't fill his tag had some close calls, including two cows jumping up out of their beds at about 10 yds in front of him, and a close call or two with bulls, but it just didn't work out for him. Three of us were using longbows. The guy that scored with a longbow made a really quick shot (all he had a chance for) at about 15 yds. He was pulling around 56@27 I think, using 2018 arrows and a 135 grain broadhead. His shot was a bit forward, going clean through the shoulderblade into both lungs--a good 16" or so of penetration. I think his broadhead hit the far shoulder and stopped--no doubt he would have gotten a pass-through if not for the shoulderblade. At any rate, it only went maybe 100 yds--a nice mature cow, around 350 lbs. The other fellow got a pass-through (perfect shot placement) on a yearling cow, around 200 lbs (that's the meat I got some of--FINE eating!), and it went about the same distance.

Got home yesterday afternoon, still exausted with a lot of things to catch up on, but wanted to give an update.

Chad
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Back From CO

Sounds like you had a ton of fun even tho you didn't get a shot off.

You will next time for sure now that you have learnt a few lessons

It was real nice of the others to share their meat.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a good time! Congrats to your buds kills! I sure would love to do a Elk hunt traditional style one of these days!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 PM
bigcountry

Sounds great Chad. I had a ML tag this year and sent it back. Glad you had a good time and your back safe. I am dieing to go out with my longbow.

Shocked a 135gr head went thru a shoulder blade.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you had a great trip Chad. It sounds like the longbow did the trick on that elk. Your not kidding about the eating either. Elk is one of my favorite meats. Glad your back.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

That jumped out at me too. Any idea what head it was?

Was it a single bevel?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, sounds like a great hunt. Tell us more. Did you pack in with horses or hike?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

That jumped out at me too. Any idea what head it was?

Was it a single bevel?
I have hit deer with 125gr magnus and not penetrated more than one lung. But that was a downward shot from a treestand.

I would like to see more about this guys setup. It would build my confidense with my selfbows on deer. I have been taking out my fancy R/D longbows this year, and still haven't built up the confidense that my 155fps 460gr cedar can get the job done from my osage bow.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

He was shooting a Crusader longbow, pulls around 27", Dynaflight '97 string, 2018 XX75 arrow, 135 grain Zwicky broadhead--nothing outstanding or extreme about his set-up. The shot was about 15 yds. He has his set-up tuned and his broadheads sharp.

Honestly I don't understand why so many folks have penetration problems. A friend in TN kills lots of deer with his selfbows--he has a short draw, doesn't shoot extreme weights (around 55# if I remember correctly), and doesn't shoot super heavy arrows or broadheads. Fred Bear killed an elephant pulling 75# and used a Razorhead broadhead. I don't remember the arrow weight, but I don't recall it being super heavy either.

Bob (the fellow that killed the elk) didn't hit dead-center of the shoulderblade, but the shoulderblade was penetrated at least a couple of inches in from the edge. I'll try to remember to get more details the next time I talk to him. No doubt he would have gotten a pass-through, or at thevery least full penetration (broadhead sticking out the far side--dang near did that anyway)if the shot had been a few inches further back.

Chad
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Hey big country, my set up is as follows> Chekmate Crusader. 62" 53# at my 27" draw. One of Chad's D97 strings. XX75 2018 cut to 30". !35gr zwickey delta with tanto point and razor sharp. Hope this helps, I know it's nothing special on the set up but it seems to work for me. Did you ever sell your takedown crusader that you had for sell. That was one nice looking bow. Good luck
BOB

Quick Reply: Back From CO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.