Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Can you string a bow without a bowstringer? >

Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

I think instead of dissing the method, he just means he's never been able to accomplish it, bigcountry.

Push-pull does require a little extra agility. It's really hard for some people to push on the limb AND slide the loop up the limb to the nocks with the same hand. Don't know why that is. Maybe some people are simply not wired up in a way that allows it? Who knows.

Putting talcum powder on the push hand helps make the sliding part easier while doing the push.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Can you string a bow without a bow stringer?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

What does a stringer do that the push pull method will not? A stringer puts pressure on limb same as your palm. some stringers may put pressure on the tip.
The push/pull will work fine if you can use it right, I just never got used to it. On a recurve you should always use a bow stringer. Byron Ferguson brought it to light best, he said "if you grab the tip of a recurve you can move it right and left pulling the string out of the groove. That can cause limb twist,you can't do that with a longbow". Byron uses the push/pull method. Using a stringer is not an issue on limb tips as long as the tip are not damaged in any way. With the step-through method you're bending the bow around your leg possibly causing twist, with push/pull there's the possibility of torquing the riser twisting the limbs.

Like I said earlier, for the few seconds it takes to use a stringer it's better to be safe than sorry. JMHO
Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Im going to make me a stringer tonight. As i said earlier, I use the push pull method just because that is what ive done for years and its a habit. A bad habit, because it just makes sense to use a stringer.Even though ive never had an issue with my bows from using the push pull method, itdoesnt mean im not due for one.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just went and tried the push/pull and it just didnt feel right......
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

same here.....i grabbed the 30# bowfisher i can do it with that....im not comfortable doing it with my 50#er tho.....

You guys use this Method with 60+# bows????
Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

20 years ago, when my back was stronger than my brain, () I was doing it with a 120 lb longbow.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i remember right your a taller/bigger guy....you have lots of leverage on your side.(kindof like arm-wrestling).... im only 5'9 or so. and ive never used the (Push-Pull) so it is aukward.

Stringers really werent around???? 30 years ago????? it seams like a pretty primitive concept? Maybee you didnt know about them or were too stubborn to use one?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

At 6'6" and 380, I'm about the size of your average NFL offensive lineman so, yeah, I'm a little larger than most.

Stringers... There may have been a sringer like we have now, in fact I would guess there probably was something like it, but you gotta remember that not everyone had a comprehensive archery catalog back then, and we didn't have the internet either. I only knew of a couple different ones. There was a leather cup mounted on a loop that you put around your foot. You put the bottom limb tip of your bow in the cup and did the push pull. It didn't really do anything different than the regular way except to keep your limb tip from getting scuffed up. And some folks had a wall or workbench mounted fixture that let you put the bottom limb in a support so that you could keep the limb tips in alignment while you put the string loop in the nocks. It was nothing more than a steel plate with a couple of polished steel rods welded to it. Other than that, it was the old step through.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

same here.....i grabbed the 30# bowfisher i can do it with that....im not comfortable doing it with my 50#er tho.....

You guys use this Method with 60+# bows????
Ive used the push pull method with every bow ive ever owned. But like others have mentioned, my brawn is bigger than my brain in this case. Even though ive never had a problem with it, but that is probably because ive always done it that way. It only makes sense to use a stringer. I said i was going to make one last night, but didnt get around to it.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 PM

Default RE: Can you string a bow without a bow stringer?

I'm always used the step-thru method and never had any of my recurves develop twisted limbs. When I use the step-thru method I always try and keep the entire 'flat face' of the limb fully against me leg and bend. Thus far - no problems. I tried using a stringer a few times and found it to be a PITA & require me to have 'another piece of equipment' which I disliked.

I'm a big fan of the G. Fred Asbell 'school' - simple is better. I have the bow set up to shoot off the shelf, silencers, a a brass Noc Set and thats it. I DO always have a identical spare bowstring already all set up just in case mine gets cut thats been ON the bow for awhile so it can stretch out and then I just keep it in a Zip Loc bag in my fanny pack - just in case. Which leads me to another story on WHY I LOVE shooting traditional now...

In my compound toting career I had a nice weekend of whitetail hunting ruined when I inadvertently cut my compound bowstring with a broadhead. Then our local archery shop was closed Sundays and here my compound bow is all apart and my ability to hunt ruined. Nothing is worse than having the TIME off to be able to hunt, good weather, beautiful October weather and I was sitting home watching the hunting shows on TV b/c my bow was in 'ruins!' That incident was so painful that I decided I had 'had it' with modern equipment and went traditional 100%. I do currently have a beautiful Champion compound up for sale b/c there it sits all decked out in its camo case not being used. For me - traditional IS THE only way to go! Nothing to break or lose to ruin MY hunts. No loosened sight pins, screws, out of tune, broken cables, etc. I was an avid 3D shooter, owned over 35 compounds in MY career and have done it all from overdraws, carbon arrows, releases, etc. No more!

Quick Reply: Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.