Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Can you string a bow without a bowstringer? >

Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

Old 06-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

be safe....buy a stringer or make one....you dont want to damage a bow or yourself [X(]by improperly stringing your bow.....it can be done and i used to stepthrew to string with my cheap bow....id turn my leg and stand on my tip toe to bracethe bottom limb better before appying pressure(if you do this wrong youll twist your limbs in no time)...and make sure i push down strait on the toplimb...some people can never do it correctly nomatter how hard they try.

get a Stringer its the better method.....
Old 06-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I never use a stringer. Ive only used a stringer when i had a skin backed bow.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

You can, but I never do because it's not good on the bow. I recommend getting a stringer.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess that I should buy a stringer.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:32 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: EnglishHope

You can, but I never do because it's not good on the bow. I recommend getting a stringer.
I can see its not great on a recurve, but how is it bad on a longbow?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Ivedone it this way from when I 1st started,left leg thru,bottom tip outside of right foot/ankle(tip potecter),bendupper bow limb over with left hand and slide sting up with right handand done,its easiest without arrows in thelimb quiver(just a fact)....dont understand the chance ofhitting the eye or face,I dont even come close,well maybe 10-12 inches of face,maybe its just how I do it.....
Old 06-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Ivedone it this way from when I 1st started,left leg thru,bottom tip outside of right foot/ankle(tip potecter),bendupper bow limb over with left hand and slide sting up with right handand done,its easiest without arrows in thelimb quiver(just a fact)....dont understand the chance ofhitting the eye or face,I dont even come close,well maybe 10-12 inches of face,maybe its just how I do it.....
For me its just habit. Ive used the push pull method foraround 30 years. A stringer would make more sense, i guess old habits are hard to break.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ranger, you're using the step-thru method and there's little chance of hitting yourself in the face with the limb tip - although it's the most dangerous method to use for the bow.

With the push-pull method, you brace the bottom limb tip against the instep of your foot with the back of the bow facing you, pull on the grip and push against the upper limb while simultaneously slipping the string loop up and into the nocks. This kid is doing it wrong because his face is directly in the way of the limb tip if his hand slips while sliding the loop into place. He should be holding his head out of the way.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have too much money invested in my bows not to use a bowstringer. Repairing twisted limbs can really SUCK. I know many say you don't need a stringer on longbows but for the few seconds it takes to use one it worthavoiding an accident. I have in the past used the step through method, I never could get the push/pull method down.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: va bowbender

I have too much money invested in my bows not to use a bowstringer. Repairing twisted limbs can really SUCK. I know many say you don't need a stringer on longbows but for the few seconds it takes to use one it worthavoiding an accident. I have in the past used the step through method, I never could get the push/pull method down.
What does a stringer do that the push pull method will not? A stringer puts pressure on limb same as your palm. some stringers may put pressure on the tip.

Quick Reply: Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.