Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Traditional 3D.......lotta fun >

Traditional 3D.......lotta fun

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Traditional 3D.......lotta fun

Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Traditional 3D.......lotta fun

Shot my first traditional 3D round, yesterday. I'd been practicing a lot with the longbow......and went there FULLY expecting to shoot the 20yd max stakes. When I got there.....I was informed that the trad stakes were 30 yd max.

Intimidation sets in.....lol.

I ended up whiffing on 4 targets out of 30.....but a good time was had. Scored a paltry 172......but my goal (internal) was to average a "5" for each animal.....and I surpassed that.

I'll keep going when I feel like it.....and keep having fun. Looking forward to September.......and a live target inside 15yds.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Traditional 3D.......lotta fun

Looks like you had fun,never really shot on a 3D course, I wouldn't mind giving it a go once or twice! The shop I go to has a 4 yard indoor 3D range and a real nice 28 target outdoor 3D range as well. My buddy keeps trying to get me to go, probably give it a try this spring!

Also appears you got the hat thing figured out!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah the hat was the LEAST of my worries, yesterday....lol
Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 AM
bigcountry

I never would take a score, and never really ever shoot at the stakes. I kinda shoot where I want too. I just what ever is enjoyable. I don't think you have to shoot at thier designated stakes.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I think that was a good score for your first time out--there's a lot more to consider when you are shooting 3-D. You have unfamiliar surroundings, usually targets you have never shot, scenarios you aren't used to (up-hill, down-hill, across a gulley, through the bushes, etc.), and of course the intimidation of competeing--makes shooting in the back yard feel like a walk in the park!

I love 3-D for that reason--you get better at shooting under pressure, at different targets, in different scenarios, and at different ranges. 3-D is great hunting practice as far as being able to make the shot.

Chad
Old 04-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Good job Jeff! That's a good score for your first time out!

Most ranges I shoot are really too long for trad gear and what 95% of most trad shooters can handle.... A 30 yard trad shot is the equivalent of a 60 yds compound shot IMO and you dont see many of those at shoots!

Anyway, good job, it'll be fun to watch you progress.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Missing four targets is nothing!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm being serious, Bob.....did I do OK? 30 yd max....and I can guarantee you there was only one inside 20yds.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Jeff,

Yes, you did ok! 4 misses at those ranges is not bad at all...Just think, if you could have hit foam you would have another 20pts!

Most of the shoots I go to sound about like yours, the majority of targets are between 20-30 yds with very few under 20 and a few at 30, but most in the 25yds range...

I have found that if you can shoot 75% to 80% of the even score, you will be in the top few at most events... I strive for 80% and I rarely reach it.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm being serious, Bob.....did I do OK? 30 yd max....and I can guarantee you there was only one inside 20yds.
Like Bob said missing 4 targets is nothing!! You did well Jeff.

Quick Reply: Traditional 3D.......lotta fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.