Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Woodsman Broadheads

Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Woodsman Broadheads

Any reviews on the Wensel Woodsman 3-blade broadhead??
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Woodsman Broadheads

I've only "tested" them on a hog and a deer so far. Small hog, but passed though so fast I thought I missed--never did find the arrow, short blood trail (my buddy did follow up with a Magnus, but he accidently walked up on it and jumped it after it had gone down in about 20 yds). Shot a whitetail earlier this year, too high and too far back (liver shot), it only went maybe 50 yds. Kind of tricky to sharpen at first, I like to hone the needle point off, but over-all a good head. Hope to try out some new Ace Standards I got before the season closes.

Chad
Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Don't jab them into your thigh. My boyfriend said it took almost no effort to stick himself through his hunting pants, boxers and into the muscle.[:-]

I've seen several hogs taken with them and perform great. I agreeabout filing the tip down a bit because they can curl a bit when hitting bone.

Overall, I think they're great heads.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Kind of an extreme way to test penetration![:@] Think I'll stick to testing them on critters!

Chad

Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like them because they are a 3-blade and there a Cut On Contact head. IMO there isn't a better head then a 3-blade Cut On Contact BH.The only thing I don't like about the Woodsmanis there cutting diameter. I can't really comment to much on them being i've never used them. I shoot a similar head called the Magnus Snuffer. Its a 3-blade 125 grainhead with a cutting diameter of 1 5/16. Its cutting diameter is bigger then the Woodsman, but shorter in length then the Woodsman. If i didn't shoot snuffers i'd probably give these a try.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
COB

I hear the point turns very easy. Had a friend shoot a hog in Florida. He did not think he hit any thing "hard" on the pig but had a curled point and no pig.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:38 AM

I've heard about the curling problem, and a review on these type says to file the point down a bit to a triangle to avoid curling (making it kind of a puncture point). Seems like a tough broadhead though.

I went with Steel Force BH this season, but didn't get a chance to put them to the test. Had a cousinloose a bull elk with one (out of a compound bow). He swore by the SF heads before this, but the broadhead hit the shoulder area a bit too forward, and had no penetration. He picked it up to find a curled point. Made me wonder about my SF heads after that story.

I think that curling may be a problem with most cut-on-contact type broadheads.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trouthunter

I've heard about the curling problem, and a review on these type says to file the point down a bit to a triangle to avoid curling (making it kind of a puncture point). Seems like a tough broadhead though.

I went with Steel Force BH this season, but didn't get a chance to put them to the test. Had a cousinloose a bull elk with one (out of a compound bow). He swore by the SF heads before this, but the broadhead hit the shoulder area a bit too forward, and had no penetration. He picked it up to find a curled point. Made me wonder about my SF heads after that story.

I think that curling may be a problem with most cut-on-contact type broadheads.
So far (Knock on wood)I haven't had any problems with my 3 blade snuffers curlingyet. I've shot in the neighborhood of 15 animals with them (Bear and Deer). Although i've never hit a leg bone or anything like that, maybe it would then but i highly dought it. There tough! I think the reason the Woodsman do it is because there a long and narrowhead.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 AM
COB

I neither Steve. Not on game that is. I have been known to miss and hit rocks. Now a big rock will do a number on any head!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: COB

I neither Steve. Not on game that is. I have been known to miss and hit rocks. Now a big rock will do a number on any head!
Ihave wrecked my Snuffers on rocks as well! I've seen these snuffers break them too without wrecking them, there dull as heck when that goes on! I don't think these Snuffers are as strong as they used to be though, but then again nothing is these days!

Quick Reply: Woodsman Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.