HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Bear Grizzly vs. Martin Hunter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/17435-bear-grizzly-vs-martin-hunter.html)

Ullr 11-29-2002 03:44 AM

Bear Grizzly vs. Martin Hunter

Hello all,

I'd like to hear your comments on how the Bear Grizzly and the Martin Hunter compare to one another. I have narrowed my choice to one of these two bows and am looking for some advice. The one I choose will be a hunting bow as well as a target/recreation bow.

Any comments or experiences are welcome.

Thanks,

Ullr

Arthur P 11-29-2002 07:08 AM

RE: Bear Grizzly vs. Martin Hunter

It's been several years since I shot either one, but the way I remember them;

The Grizzly was a nice, handy size bow that drew and shot smooth as silk. I never noticed that much stack with it, but there was never a bow scale around when I was out with the bow, so I don't know what it was drawing. I was deadly accurate with it, but finger pinch at 32" draw was a little rough.

The Martin drew real nice up to about 29" and then I got into some stack. It stacks harder the further you pull it. At 32", my 45 pound bow was drawing nearly 60 pounds! It was good and accurate and shot a bit quicker arrow than the Grizzly. Since it's longer than the Grizz, finger pinch wasn't too bad.

They're both great production bows. I'd prefer the Kodiak Hunter over either of them, but that comes under the heading of personal preference.

Edited by - Arthur P on 11/29/2002 08:11:08

Chessbum 11-29-2002 08:22 AM

I owned the Martin Hunter for several years before I got into longbows and I think it is a well made bow. What I don't like about that bow and other recurves is the large handle area but that is just preference. I was at Cabelas in Dundee Michigan the other night and saw a Bear Montana and a Bear recurve in the Bargain Room where they stick returns. You may want to give them a call and ask about the Bear recurve as it was marked down over 100 dollars I think and it looked in brand new shape. I also had the oportunity to shoot Byron Fergusons Patriot made under the Bear name and I liked the way it shot for a 64 inch longbow (my preferences are 68"to 70" Howard Hill Longbows of which I've bought seven in the past five years). At 430 dollars new the Patriot is a very nice longbow in my opinion. Hope this was some help to you.

Wahya 11-29-2002 09:00 AM

Welcome, it's good to see you here.

The only Griz I've had any experience with was one made in the 70s and there was lots of stack, even at my relatively short draw of just under 28". Finger pinch would be uncomfortable for people with longer draws.

We still own a relatively new (3 years old) Martin Hunter and like was stated, on draws past 29", it stacks. For me, the bow is fast and accurate, but does have some handshock as compared to other recurve bows in the same weight range that I've shot.

If they were the only two bows that I could choose between, I'd take the Martin. But I gotta say, there are much better bows on the market than either of them and for less money.

If this is your first stick, my suggestion would be to go 40-45# at your draw with the bow, which is why I recommend to anyone starting out to get a good used bow in that weight range so they can work on form without having to worry about being overbowed and spending a ton of money.

You may also want to consider buying the bow according to your eye dominance, instead of strong side of body.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.

LBR 11-29-2002 02:43 PM

Between the Bear and the Martin, I'd choose the Martin. Haven't shot either one in a few years though. I have a Martin coming that I traded for, might shoot it a few times before I sell/trade it to see if it shoots like the one I owned several years ago. I don't care for the newer Bear bows.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!

Ullr 11-29-2002 05:15 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. They have been very helpfull. This is not my first recurve but it has been around 20 years since I've shot one. I have recently felt a need to move back to trad archery. In short, I'm looking for a production model to get me back in the groove and to tide me over while I decide on a good custom or make one of my own... Now there is a seperate issue... Anybody have any experience dealing with Bingham Projects or with using their bowmaking materials and instructions? What type of quality can I expect as a final product?

Thanks again,

Ullr

str8narrow 11-30-2002 09:32 PM

Ullr, I really don't think you can go wrong with either. I have had plenty of Martin bows, still have 3, including a left-handed Hunter
(I try to shoot offhand at times). Nothing fancy, just good bows. I have shot Grizzlys and found them to be good, no frills bows. I actually like the new Grizzy grip better than the old one, though I haven't shot a recent production model, only the older Griz.

Don't know if that helps, but hope it does.

YBIC,
Dave ><>

Matt 6:33,34/Rev 3:20

mhogan 12-02-2002 07:26 PM

I own both and prefer the Martin.

Deleted User 12-06-2002 03:42 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

mhogan 12-06-2002 06:31 PM

Ya done learned me well Bob!