Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
what wt broadhead do i need >

what wt broadhead do i need

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

what wt broadhead do i need

Old 12-30-2002, 02:38 PM

Default what wt broadhead do i need

im shooting a bow with 43# draw weight, 30" arrows is a 125 grain chisel point head to heavy.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:49 PM

Default RE: what wt broadhead do i need

Point weight depends on several things. Personally, I try several different point weights with different shaft sizes and lengths to determine which combination flies best. I feel that good arrow flight is the most important consideration in a hunting arrow. I shoot 3555 gold tips and have found that in my 45# recurve, if I leave my arrows at 29.5" and use a 145gr. point, that my arrow flight is much better than if I use 125's or 160's. Your results may vary. My best advice is to experiment! Use field tips for your experiments and try and borrow different shaft sizes and materials. Have fun with it. Dick

Old 12-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what wt broadhead do i need

It depends on how heavy or lite you want to go with your arrow and the spine of the arrow you're shooting. Shooting a low weight bow like your Bear, I'd want a minimum arrow weight of around 500g. to take advantage of the momentum of the arrow for optimum penetration. Also keep in mind that the spine of the arrow is affected by point weight, so a marginally acceptable arrow spine can be completely wrong coming off of your bow by changing the point weight as little as 25g. I'd also suggest going with a razor sharp 2 blade cut on contact broadhead. It will give you the best penetration, again because of the low weight of your bow you need to use every available means to obtain adequate penetration. Make sure that the arrow is flying perfectly from the bow before trying to shoot broadheads. Otherwise the head acts as a set of wings on the front of the arrow and can and will cause the arrow to go almost anywhere when shot. Anywhere that is, except where you want it to go.

Actually, in my opinion, it is way too early for you to be thinking about broadheads. Get your draw length measured, get the bow weighed at your draw and get a dozen properly spined arrows. Learn to shoot the bow with the properly spined set of arrows. Then when you can hit what you're looking at, you can start thinking about attaching some broadheads to your arrows and begin practicing with them. Practice with them because they may not go where your field points do. Once you can hit what you're looking at on a consistent basis and at a certain maximum yardage with your broadhead tipped arrows, then make the decision of whether or not you are ready to hunt with the bow.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.