HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Sharpening Carbon steel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/115887-sharpening-carbon-steel.html)

Rangeball 10-07-2005 12:52 PM

Sharpening Carbon steel

I'm trying to sharpen my Wensel Woodsmans (brand new) using varying grit diamond stones (180, 260, 360, 600, 1200) then finishing them off on 2000 grit automotive sandpaper.

They seem to be sharp, easily grab my fingernail and snap a stretched rubber band with minimal pressure applied. Can't get them to shave, but I think that's cause I'm using the wrong technique.

When I've done this with stainless, the edges were polished and shiny, mirror like. The carbon steel doesn't have this appearance. Is that a factor of the material or do I not have them as sharp as they could be?

Arthur P 10-07-2005 03:27 PM

RE: Sharpening Carbon steel

I think it's a function of the edge angle you're forced into with a 3-blade head. It's just too steep to really put a hair popping razor edge on them. I've never used Snuffers because I can't get that really scary edge I get with my 2-blade heads.

I've recently gone to Magnus' website and checked out their sharpening instructions for Snuffers. They say touse only a 10" medium mill bastard file, form a burred edge and leave the burr alone. I've always tried to remove the burr and put that razor edge on 'em, and was never satisifed with the results. Obviously, that's where I went wrong.[&:]

Since the Woodsman is basically a stretched out version of the Snuffer, I'd say the same sharpening method should work for them too. Maybe I'll get a chance to try out that sort of edge on a few Snuffers before the woods get too much older.;)

Rangeball 10-07-2005 03:48 PM

Did they get shiny?

I'm gonna have to get my hands on a file. Lots of guys at tradgang swear by a file, some follow with a bit on a fine diamond stone then leather, and say they shave hair.

What's the difference between a bastard mill file and a single cut? Which is preferred for sharpening 3 bladers, if it matters?

Arthur P 10-07-2005 05:07 PM

A bastard file is a single cut, but it's a finer cut than a plain single.Kinda like the difference between coarse sandpaper and fine. Size also makes a difference. A big file is coarser than a small one. So, when theyrecommend a 10" file, then they must have found out that particular size and cut works best for the edge they recommend. Nicholson makes a good file and I've seen 'em even at wally world.

Wingbone 10-08-2005 04:04 AM

I sharpened a buddy's Woodsmans for him. I started with a regular carborundum stone, went to a hard Arkansas stone, finally, a piece of ground glass, and stropped it on a piece of cardboard. They would shave when I finished. I think your abrasives might be a little coarse.