Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

A few questions

Old 08-04-2005, 10:23 PM

Default A few questions

Who makes a good single arrow holder, like the one Black widow makes (Ace in the hole) Would it be hard to make one, I saw one on another site that some one made.

I shoot with tabs today, and they worked great, first bullseye I've hit in a while .Was this a fluk or are they better then a glove?

How many of ya hunt with wood arrows, I maypickup some cedar shaft and get them in the rotation. What is a goodfinish to put on them.I think I may make ajig to mounton my sanderto taperthem forpoints, has anyone ever done this, I think it will work.

Thanks for any help guys and we are getting close to fall .
Old 08-05-2005, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A few questions

Alaska Bowhunting Supply, 3 Rivers and Kustom King all have broadhead holsters that tie onto the top limb with a leather thong but they don't have the clip like the Ace in the Hole does. You stick your arrowhead into the holster and grip the shaft and bow handle together as you carry it. ABS and KK each have one for 2-blade heads, 3 Rivers has both a 2-blade and a 3-blade version.

Are tabs better than gloves? Well... Sometimes I shoot better with a tab, sometimes I shoot better with a glove. The Olympic archers only use tabs, so take that for whatever meaning you want. I prefer a glove for hunting though. It's always ready to go. Nothing like fumbling around with a tab when I need to get off a quick shot.[:@]

I haven't hunted with cedar arrows in years. It's gotten hard to get cedars long enough for broadheads at my draw length. I like how they shoot though. Seems wood arrows have a softer feel on the shot and are quieter than aluminum or carbon/fiberglass. arrows.

Make your sanding jig and taper away. It works great, much better than pencil sharpener type tapering tools, IMO.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

As Art has said, most Olympic Archers use tabs. I use a Black Widow Tab once in a while, but always seem to go back to a ABS glove. Tabs seem to hurt my fingers after a while.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:04 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I like a glove, but lots of great archers and hunters use a tab. Use the one that works best for you. I think the fit of a glove is more important than it is with a tab.

I shoot wood arrows exclusively. The reason I went to them is because they are required to shoot in the longbow class at most of the bigger tournaments I shoot in, and I hunt with the same set up I use for tournaments. I kinda like them too. The best finish I've ever used is an epoxy finish. I can send you the recipie if you want. Not as quick as gasquet laquer, but a whole lot more durable, and not nearly as much stink as Bohnning finishes.

I'm mechanically incompetent, so I bought a Woodchuck taper grinder. I have heard of lots of folks making their own with a sander with good results. Just have to get the angles right for the point and nock.

Chad
Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Guss,
Build your own arrow holder. http://www.ozbow.net/uniquiver_001.htm Pretty straight forward to make.

RC

Old 08-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys, I will check out that site. Have been shooting with the glove and tab and like them both.

LBR ya may as well send it to me, ya can never know to much.

[email protected]

thanks.