Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet >

Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet

Old 12-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet

Meat packer called today and said he had recovered my bullet, of course I said "are you sure it was a pass through!" He said it had passed through the body but had lodged itself in the Humerous bone of theleft front leg...

Well here is... This is/was a Nosler .458 Partition Protected Point. It was shot through an elk at 176 yards, it did not hit a bone on the way in but did pass squarely through a rib on the left out then into the upper leg bone.

Expanded to .780
Weight: 294 grain

The animal managed to turn 180 degrees and fell at the shot spot. None of this did I get to see - smoke... Wish I had one of those movie camera guys with me...

Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Idaho Elk - part 3

Great information there Sabotloader. It makes me feel even more secure when I load a 260 grain Nosler in my Knight for deer hunting...
Old 12-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, I really hope you get an opportunity to shoot that 260 at an animal, when you do you will be a real believer. I have only one box of these .458's left and I was not going to buy anymore - but!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is very impressive....
Old 12-22-2007, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Dave, I really hope you get an opportunity to shoot that 260 at an animal, when you do you will be a real believer. I have only one box of these .458's left and I was not going to buy anymore - but!!!
When you use a .458 slug which mmp sabot do you use the thinner one?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

With the .458 I use a MMP Orange .458/50 HPH sabot. It fits my Remingtons and the older Omega just fine. I think Dave also has some but his were Knights... Del, (MMP Sabots) bought the machine from Knight a couple of years ago and continues to make them.

50 Cal. Rifle
0457 - .458 Bullet
Orange
250 - 500 Grains
http://www.mmpsabots.com/

Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 PM

Was there an exit hole in the elk? I just checked out your original thread and that was a really nice elk, how you got it into the back of the truck is a mystery
Hey Cdad, it looks like sabotloaders truck needs a wash

Also, that was pretty cool where you could see the bullets travel path along the ribs. Let us know how the steaks turn out.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:03 PM

Default RE: Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet

sabotloader
You really should talk to Nosler and see if they have any affiliate programs for you. At the rate you send them new customers they should be sending you a few cents commission off each one. At the very least maybe they could shuffle some advertising dollars your way because you sure do an excellent promotional job.
Seriously though that's some petty impressive performanceat 176 yds, again nice shot.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

Yes there was an exit hole in the hide on the left side - never even thought the left leg might have been bent to get in the way... but she was standing looking downhill with a leg in front of the other...

We hooked a strap across the tie downs in the pick-up box - attached a snatch block block to that then back out to the 4-wheeler and I just pulled her in - worked very well

Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Great setup, i'll have to remember that next year if i get an elk.

Quick Reply: Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.