Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

KP1 is here

Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default KP1 is here

Drove out and picked it up this afternoon and have been busy since.

I will first post a bunch of pictures showing various details and give my initial thoughts on the rifle.

full view 1

full view 2

included accessories

Kick-Eez pad

Above shows configuration as delivered. FPJ plug installed, FPJ extractor installed

trigger - hammer assembly

right side showing fit

barrel underlug

forearm release latch

bad pic of bore - sorry

rear sight (red fibre)

front sight (green fibre)

action interior

firing pin retaining screw

Regular 209 plug installed - extractor is not used with that plug
Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KP1 is here

Some measurements:

Weight - 7 lbs 4 oz per Ofishul DFK scales

Overall length 43"

Barrel length 27 11/16"

Barrel effective length 25 7/8"

Ramrod length 24" diameter .355" ( 23/64" ? )

Scope base slot spacing (centered slots) 2.5"

Action pin diameter .375" length 1 1/32" inward dimples on ends

Attempted to measure trigger pull with Ofishul gauge - result invalid due to angle - actual pull is surely very close to the range of 3 to 3.5 pounds.

Stock has the outline of a checkering pattern impressed in the synthetic but no checkering. Effective and looks reasonable IMO. Comb is correct for scope use - the included irons are fine but you must really get down on the stock to use them.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rifle is nice looking and balances very well. Feels lighter than it is and the weight is already less than spec by a good margin.

Accessories included: owner's manual, 209 breech plug (FPJ plug was installed as delivered), TWO identical small hammer extensions, some scope/sight hole filler screws (none installed as delivered), ramrod extension and matching cleaning jag, ~20 red FPJs, a $10 Knight bonus bucks certificate, and a Knight sticker.

Trigger - odd and must resemble the Savage AccuTrigger (I've not felt one of those). There is considerable takeup before coming to the actuating point. The takeup requires only a small pull and is smooth throughout. At the actuating point, the trigger is very crisp and clean - quite nice but somewhat heavier than I would normally prefer. Given the complexity of the trigger-hammer assembly, this old tinkerer may just leave that one alone (or let someone else diagram it first). I can only guess the pull weight without a proper trigger gauge, but would estimate it at 3 pounds or so.

Fit and finish are both good. Metal work looks excellent. The synthetic buttstock arrived with a minor ding on one side - small and easily overlooked. The Kick-Eez pad is a pre-fit and I find those to NEVER be quite right. This one is no exception but the fit is acceptable.

Disassembly of the rifle is pretty straightforward and easy to accomplish. The ramrod is removed - then the forearm latch (easy to operate yet holds the forearm securely with no rattle) is pushed back to release the forearm - open the action using the tang mounted release (works great) - if the FPJ extractor is installed the instructions call for its removal at this point?? by simply pulling it straight back and out (neat! but another optimistic owner's manual entry as I needed something to pull with other than thumb and index finger as suggested).

Next the action pin is pushed out to either side (the manual suggested using the long end of the now-removed extractor to push the pin, which I did). The trigger-hammer assembly is then removed (after removing hammer extension if installed) by pressing the latch located inside the trigger guard in the forward direction. The instructions indicate this is a one-hand operation but I found that suggestion to be pretty optimistic. Once the latch is pushed forward, the assembly is rocked a bit to and fro to free it from the rifle.

Removal of trigger-hammer assembly exposes the firing pin set screw. Two turns in the loose direction frees the firing pin (I did not do that nor did I yet read about switching to the rimfire pin).

The only remaining disassembly would be breech plug removal. using the supplied 7/16" hex tool or a deep socket of the same size.

Reassembly is basically a reversal of the above steps. I nearly freaked out trying to put the hammer-trigger assembly back in the rifle as several tries bore no fruit. The instructions again suggest this is a one-hand operation . No way! I finally succeeded by keeping the lever forward while rocking the assembly AND giving a slight upward pull forward while pushing down at the rear. THAT was not what the book said. But once you master that particular move, reassembly should become much less a challenge.

Nothing rattles! I shook the rifle up-down-left-right and heard no rattles. Everything goes together nice and solid. The synthetic stock seems very well done and is much more substantial than the Encore's.

The very good news is the rifle's bore - superb in appearance!! There is no recess at all at the muzzle, just a nice crown. I first attempted to test bore size with one of Dan's gas-checked monsters but got it caught at the crown and pulled the check off when I started to realign it. Batchief's Trashcans, which my mic' says are .5038" started easily and only very lightly engraved the bullet. My UC Shorts are coming out of my sizer at almost exactly .504 and those also started with ease and just a bit of engraving. I didn't try any of Dan's other bullets just yet but will see how it goes with a .5045 perhaps tomorrow. This thing is going to shoot.

The Weaver Grand Slam bases (S15) from e-gunparts do indeed fit a round top Knight. The curvature matchup is not perfect but they certainly provide a solid fit. Knight is coming out with a couple of new bases at least one of which will be a one-piece for the rifle in the near future (Knight part numbers 900781 and 900778). I'm hoping others will follow suit with some good one-piece bases. The little Grand Slams will get me by in the meantime but I may have to wear forehead padding.

At this point and with this brief exposure, I would give the rifle an overall very favorable mark. That's it for now - I'm whooped.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

SWEET
Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

How much $, and where did ya get it at??
Old 12-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great looking gun. Thats the next gun on my wish list.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Lane, got it via a friend with an FFL so it was about as good a price as one might find.

Weather forecast looks lousy here for the next several days, so shooting is going to have to wait a bit. I'll most likely start with a load of ~80 grains of ffg T7 or Swiss, overpowder wad, and a UC Short (of course ). The Short is a ~443 grain .504 conical.
One thing I forgot to mention is the hammer and safety action. Mainly because I haven't looked hard enough at that just yet to see what is going on there. There is no half-cock position and cocking involves a relatively short hammer travel.

I might pull that assembly back out today and see if I can determine just what is going on in there. I do know the hammer will "fire" from either safety position but I've yet to see what is happening with the firing pin. There is a transfer bar of sorts down in there. Given Knight's prior use of double-safeties, you can be pretty certain the rifle is well designed in that regard.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:14 AM

It looks good. I will be watching to see how it shoots. If it's like the Knight's I have it will be a shooter. I have an Omega and I am on the fence about it. No matter what I do it is a pain to load. My boy's have the same gun and the same pain. It shoots preety good but no better than my old BK 92. And i can load the secdond shot without running a patch thru it. Keep us posted and I may buy one of those Knights my self.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

UC, Nice looking gun. Never seen a KP1 yet, so your pictures were great. Looks like that gun is designed to compete with the Encore, since if I recall correctly it has different barels.
Chap
Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting, really different. Have fun, ley us know how it does. Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.