Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rifled -v- Sabot Slugs

Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Rifled -v- Sabot Slugs

I just picked up my new NEF Ultra slug hunter in 12ga 3"chamber. The problem is i didnt think to order the ammo as there were like 20 boxes of hornady sabots on the shelf at the time. All i can find now is Remington Rifled slugs. Can i shoot the rifled slugs out of the shotgun or will it mess my barrel up? I have never used shotties for anything other than birds so i am at a loss on what i can/cant do.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifled -v- Sabot Slugs

you never know.your gun may shoot them fine. my mossberg 500 barrel shoots near the same using federal barnes 16$ a box or with the cheap lead winchester stuff 4$a box out to about 70 yards. did you try buying ammo online maybe? red head bass pro-cabelas . im sure all the major stores will have sabots.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:39 PM

It will not hurt the barrel, but it will foul out pretty fast, like accuracy will drop off after 4 or 5 shots in most cases. And they are not fun to clean, makes a real mess. As long as you clean the gun real well though it will not actually damage the barrel.

Mine shoots pretty well with 3 inch winchester rifled slugs. I can over lap holes at 100 yards off from a bench for three shots. After that things fall off because the barrel is dirty.

Keep in mind you will not get the same performance from a simple rifled slug as you would out of modern sabot shooting a controlled expansion bullet. They are obviously still capable of killing deer though. Mine tends to like Winchester Platinums.

Rifled slugs cost about 3 bucks a box, and modern sabot loads cost closer to 15 bucks for 5 shells!

Paul
Old 11-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try some Lightfield Hybred sabots. Usually you can find them for about $10 a box.I agree the regular slugs will foul up the barrel pretty quick but, I've shot them for years in my rifled slug barrels. Just clean them good. I'm using the Lightfields this year in my Mossberg 500 with a rifles barreland they are shooting pretty good at 100 yards

Old 11-11-2007, 04:09 PM

My H&R ultra didn't like the light fields, but they are worth giving a try.

Paul
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Alright; thanks for the advice and the INFO. I had seen the LightFields at the shop but they only had them in stock in 20Ga. I am sighting in at +2.5" at 50 yards, they say this will put me -6.5" at 200yards. Im not sure on grouping yet as i wanted to check out the slug situation before i messed chanced damaging my barrel. What are the actual ranges your would take a shot out to with your slug? I was thinking about 150ish max.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM

I haven't seen any slug guns that are capable of consistant groups good enough at 200 yards to take game. 150 would be pushing it, and I really don't think that will happen with any rifled slug.

The only way you will know is to shoot them at that distance.

Most I know sight in 1 inch high at 50 yards and that puts you close to dead on at 100. I think thats right anyway, someone feel free to correct me. I sight in at 100 yards. It really depends on the load you use. Different weight, velocities and BC's will give you different results.

Paul
Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Getting NEF for xmas... hope it shoots
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM

I know a few guys that shoot Ultra Slug hunters. That all say Brenneke KO shoot good out of them. One of the guys use Remington Copper Solids because he like that it dose alot more damage. The Brenneke slugs are around $10 a box.