Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 blue tongue in southeast ohio pics end of pg 2 >

blue tongue in southeast ohio pics end of pg 2

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

blue tongue in southeast ohio pics end of pg 2

Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default blue tongue in southeast ohio pics end of pg 2

Well I'm hoping our deer herd isn't going to get wiped out. Me, and my Dad have been passing small bucks for years, and planting food plots. We finally have some big bucks around. About 10 miles down the road blue tongue has already killed 100 deer that they have found on a single farm. They say in most cases half the deer herd in a county is usually wiped out. I hope it doesn't make it that 10 miles. Anyone else herd of this outbreak yet?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: blue tongue in southeast ohio

are you sure it isnt EHD? its related to blue tongue, and its been killing hundreds and hundreds of deer here in southern indiana. I found 2 dead bucks yesterday from it. its bad.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM

EHD is hitting us in Southwest PA and apparently the two diseases are quite simialiar. One thing I noticed in PA is that one outbreak was in South WA county and it may have skipped over a few countys and hit in a more northern county of Beaver. I am a little nervous as well but EHD is supposed to cease abruptly after the first frost. How is the Blue Tongue transmitted is it similar to the biting flies that cause EHD? I can't wait for the first frost.
\
\JMO
Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

I think blue tongue is like a common saying for ehd. It gets passed by sand midges they said. Yea they said it will stop after the first frost. I just got off the phone with my Dad and he found a doe laying dead by our pond this evening. It doesn't look good
Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 AM

That sucks about the doe by the pond, hopefully the impact won't be to bad on your property. Let me know if you keep finding them. Good Luck.

JMO
Old 09-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

My area is getting hit pretty hard to. Here is one of six i have found lately.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

I know, I hope my Dad finging that doe was a fluke thing. We are still getting 50 or 60 pictures a day on our trail cam, so hopefully we get a cold snap and it frosts before too much damage is done. My dad said it looked like that doe had been dead a couple weeks. So hopefully it was just a coincidence that she died by the pond at the time she did.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

We just had a few reported cases in eastern montana. What a bummer eh.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

Well the oil well guys that keep up our oil well tanks, said they were walking on our neighbors property doing the tanks they own and smelled something. So they started searching around and found 3 dead bucks! 2 of them were 150 inch 10 points, and then a 130 inch 10! Less than a mile from our stands. I guess its gonna hit our place hard it looks like. Those were deer that could have been under our stands. Its suppose to get down to about 40 tonight. I was hoping a few degrees more, and it'll frost. It might frost in the valleys, maybe get rid of some of the flies. I am just bummed. I look forward to deer season all year. Now We aren't even gonna have anything to hunt unless we get a frost soon.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hey blondiez24,
What city and county are you in?

Quick Reply: blue tongue in southeast ohio pics end of pg 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.