Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Additional Recovered Gold Dots... >

Additional Recovered Gold Dots...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Additional Recovered Gold Dots...

Old 11-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Additional Recovered Gold Dots...

Yesterday I was forced into sighting my Omega in again and in the process i thought I would collect some of the projectiles. We have been having monsoon type weather here for the last week so everything is saturated with water. The target was sitting at the base of a large water bar @ Strychnine Gravel. After sighting in I thought would dig a little bit for some bullets.

I would be the first to tell that what you get from shooting dirt and what you get from shooting animals is different, I would also say that shooting dirt is harder on a bullet than an animal. I personally think these bullets came through with flying colors.

The peeled back petals are not fragile at all. they are hung onto the bullet very well. You can also see the expansion is great.

Thanks to mouthcaller for getting me re-interested in this...

Old 11-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Additional Recovered Gold Dots...

They are holding together real well and retaining their weight. It looks like an excellent load. Especially that 300 grain. I might have to look into some of them.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader

Nice job digging these Gold Dots out of that muck, and thanks for taking the troubleto weighand measure them.

Those petels are indeed tough, which speaks well for the bullet's ability to stay in one piece. From the weights youmeasured they retained 98.6%, 98.0%, and 91.7% of their original weight. That is impressive.

Two more overvations

The 300gr bullet left a larger frontal portion after expansion than the 250s (1.09" vs. .852" and .968"). That makes sense, as the 250s were designed for the slower Colt 45 and have a deeper expansion cavity. The petels on the 250 appear to have peeled back flush with the shank of the bullet. That is not all bad, and may explain why you haven't recovered any 250s from deer yet I was able to find the 300 gr bullet caught in the hide of that doe I shot Friday.

The listed muzzle velocity of the 454 Casull with 300 gr bullets is very close to what can be achieved with a muzzleloader, so in essence this bullets design characteristics are well suited to muzzleloader velocities.

Thanks again for posting this information. I have certainly learned a lot from our recent experiences with this most excellent projectile. The early Muzzloader seasonclosed Friday, but the"rifle" season opens this Saturday in Tennessee.Ionly hunt with MLs now and will be using the Omega,and I amready tolearn more about the bullets performance on larger bucks!

Mouthcaller
Old 11-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader

Real nice presentation there. I think you posted it before - but it's sure nice seeing it again.

===========================================

Mouthcaller

I would be surprised if you are not a member over at the Tennessee BP messageboard (tndeer.com). What is your screen name there? I don't recall seeing "mouthcaller" over there.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Actually I'm not. Didn't know it was there. Will check it out. thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all your work and an excllant presentation. Lee